What codecs can Aura play?

I'm thinking of getting a Aura to replace my HDR-FOX T2.
I have videos in .mp4 and .avi on an external harddrive which the HDR-FOX T2 can play, via the usb port.
I'm wondering if the Aura will be able to play these and if there are any other codecs it will be able to play?
Thanks in advance.

I have videos in .mp4 and .avi on an external harddrive which the HDR-FOX T2 can play, via the usb port.
I'm wondering if the Aura will be able to play these and if there are any other codecs it will be able to play?
I would be pretty confident the Aura will play mp4 and avi formats; I haven't seen a definitive list of the available codecs; maybe somebody else has?

I don't think we ever had a definitive list even for HDR-FOX – only lists compiled by experiment.

I would be pretty confident the Aura will play mp4 and avi formats; I haven't seen a definitive list of the available codecs; maybe somebody else has?
Is it possible to play any videos formats from a USB drive without downloading a media player app?

I can't find the posts now, but I thought the local media playing capability for non-recordings relied on downloading VLCplayer, or another suitable player for the video.

I can't find the posts now
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing such posts. (Unfortunately I don’t know where they are either!)
VLC usually plays almost anything so I would imagine if the op gets an Aura, and downloads the VLC player for it, most mp4 and avi files ought to be playable.

So it looks like the Aura works differently in how it plays videos, compared to the HDR-FOX T2.
I will need to download the VLC player. If that's the case, VLC can play any codec as far as I know.

So it looks like the Aura works differently in how it plays videos, compared to the HDR-FOX T2.
Roughly speaking, the Aura is a PVR-orientated Android unit. That doesn't mean it will necessarily run any app that happens to be in the Google play store, I think it has a dedicated app store.

"It does not have a media player but the aura aura can use the VLC app for a connected usb device. The features are much the same as VLC on a PC. Also if you mount the files on a say a PC using Plex. The Aura plex client should be able to play them using your home network."

Back