What To Do with a Dead or Unwanted HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, or DTR-T1000/1010

Hello all.

My Fox T-2 (customised firmware, original hardware) has been retired as the HDD is starting to fail on me.

It's been replaced with a very different solution, so the T-2 is now going spare.

Getting it to someone might be a bit tricky in the current circumstances, but I'm willing to give it a go. I'm in Oxfordshire.

Does anyone want it?

It's been replaced with a very different solution
Do elaborate...

has been retired as the HDD is starting to fail on me
Seems excessive, just for that

Getting it to someone might be a bit tricky in the current circumstances, but I'm willing to give it a go
If nobody else speaks up I'll certainly take it, there's no hurry at all for delivery unless you are desperate to get it out of the house. I'll reimburse costs and a bit more on top.

Do elaborate...

Seems excessive, just for that

If nobody else speaks up I'll certainly take it, there's no hurry at all for delivery unless you are desperate to get it out of the house. I'll reimburse costs and a bit more on top.

Replacements are a Manhattan T3-R and an HD Homerun connected to my Plex setup.

The HDD has been slowly failing for a couple of years now. There are also freezes if it's left on for days at a time and the occasional reboot loop, but only on certain channels. I could replace the HDD and tinker with it generally, but I'm not sure I've got the energy.

I'm happy for it to live on with someone who can use it for parts or as a backup. I've had my moneys worth out of it after 10+ years.

GIVING AWAY MY HDR FOX T2 - you just pay for the postage.

I had a HDR FOX T2 that has had custom firmware on it.
I say had because it went POP.
I took the lid off (not for the first time) and saw that the fuse on the powerboard had blown.

PHOTO_20200921_085902.jpg

The charring around the fuse was a clue.
I bought new fuse, soldered into place and expected it to burst back into life.
No.

On power up the front panel displays "START SYSTEM", followed by "CUST FW 3.13", then dies.
I tried a few firmware flashes.
If I take the lid off and remove the power from motherboard to HDD, the display goes further to "WIZARD".
Plugged into TV, I can see it's working - to a point (the point where a HDD is plugged into the motherboard power).

Feeling the HDD, it clicks once before cycling the power.
I've tried two HDDs - so it's not that.

I believe it's not getting enough power to the HDD to run it up. I could dabble further by powering the HDD from another source - just to check this is the issue, but I've spent hours on this now and I had to buy a new model HUMAX to replace this quickly. (BTW the new Humax may have load of Smart TV features and can record 4 channels at once, but there is a lot missing - like "search for movies" or putting things in folders. I used to put all the documentaries into a folder called DOCS. don't get me started on keyboard input....... etc).

So..... does anyone want this for parts?
It has a crack in the front panel, and it old and very worn, but there may be working parts in there for someone wanting power supply, remote or motherboard.
I've put the original 500gb HDD back in and I'm repurposing the 2TB HDD that was in there.

(someone with electronics experience may be able to bring this back to life).

It is old and very well used, so don't expect a brand new unit.
All you'd have to pay for is postage - which would probably be <£10

All you'd have to pay for is postage - which would probably be <£10
Just for information, I recently took delivery of a redundant HDR-FOX at a cost of £9.99 signed-for. I'll take yours for parts too, if nobody else declares an interest in the next few days.

I bought new fuse, soldered into place and expected it to burst back into life.
No.
My guess is whatever caused the fuse to blow is also dead. This might represent an opportunity to experiment with replacement PSU options.

Just for information, I recently took delivery of a redundant HDR-FOX at a cost of £9.99 signed-for. I'll take yours for parts too, if nobody else declares an interest in the next few days.

My guess is whatever caused the fuse to blow is also dead. This might represent an opportunity to experiment with replacement PSU options.

Thank you for replying.
Shall we leave it a week?

I have a HDR Fox T2, with CFW. Until recently it was working fine. I no longer need it, so was going to remove the custom firmware and flog it on eBay but while logging onto the webif, I discovered the interface was not loading properly, see attached image. I have tried all the simple things: diskcheck, reinstall webif (which throws up errors) and a factory reset through the box which just retuned the channels.

I'm not interested in messing about with this any further but I don't want to throw it away. It's obviously not saleable in this condition, so if anyone wants to take it off my hands for the cost of postage they are more than welcome. I have removed the password.

Nick.

Attachments

• humax.png
    humax.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 22
I have a HDR Fox T2, with CFW. Until recently it was working fine. I no longer need it, so was going to remove the custom firmware and flog it on eBay but while logging onto the webif, I discovered the interface was not loading properly, see attached image. I have tried all the simple things: diskcheck, reinstall webif (which throws up errors) and a factory reset through the box which just retuned the channels.

I'm not interested in messing about with this any further but I don't want to throw it away. It's obviously not saleable in this condition, so if anyone wants to take it off my hands for the cost of postage they are more than welcome. I have removed the password.

Nick.
You seem to have a few misconceptions.

That the WebIF is broken doesn't mean the unit itself isn't working. The Custom Firmware does not alter the normal functionality of the box. Secondly, the correct way to remove CF is to go in on the Telnet menu and set RMA, then reflash the firmware back to standard.

If you want to fix the WebIF rather than trash it, set RMA then reboot and cancel RMA, and then by accessing WebIF you will be given the option to re-install it. Reinstate Corrupt CF via RMA Mode (click).

Last edited:
You seem to have a few misconceptions.

That the WebIF is broken doesn't mean the unit itself isn't working. The Custom Firmware does not alter the normal functionality of the box. Secondly, the correct way to remove CF is to go in on the Telnet menu and set RMA, then reflash the firmware back to standard.

If you want to fix the WebIF rather than trash it, set RMA then reboot and cancel RMA, and then by accessing WebIF you will be given the option to re-install it. Reinstate Corrupt CF via RMA Mode (click).
Thank-you. I'll will try using this method to install standard firmware 👍

I don't know why my link (in post 53) isn't working - but something weird has happened to the forum. Will investigate and be back later with an update.

Update: sorted.

Last edited:
Registered just now to post. Firstly thanks to the whole commuity because I've had so much help from reading posts on here over the years and I confess I should have registered long before now. I've got a Fox-T2 HDR that has a fault whereby the tuner claims no signal is being received. My impression is that it isn't a paricularly common fault, though I've seen a few reports about it. I've seen some posts that suggest a work-around is to occupy tuner 1 and then the unit operates well using tuner 2. But I need a reliable family-friendly PVR and - rightly or wrongly - I've bought an Aura. The Fox-T2HDR is running CFW and I've successfully copied the important recordings over to the Aura which I'm viewing with VLC. So, if anyone has any interest in this unit I'd prefer it to go to an enthusiast than to the e-waste at the tip. Unit is in Leighton Buzzard, on the Beds/Bucks border...

Which version is it (RE or pre-RE, ie are the aerial in/out sockets arranged vertically or horizontally respectively)? I am accumulating cast-off units, and I don't have an RE yet. Postage is about £10, which I'm happy to reimburse.

If anyone else wants to put in a claim, go ahead.

The V2/REVised units seem to be pretty rare - I was lucky to find one on eBay when I bought my first. I wonder how many were produced compared to the V1/original.

FWIW the V2 will almost always claim 'No signal' after a soft reboot. Could this be linked to the issue 9200_fan has or is it the same on V1 units?

Back