What's my HD Fox T2 doing?

TimK2015

Hi Folks

I recently started using my two HD Fox T2s with Foxlink to playback the content on one of my HDRs that I'm using as a 'media server'.

I noticed that every now and then the display on the HD Fox goes into what I would describe as 'flickering', i.e. the whole display is flickering, for a minute or so. Also I noticed a different mode where it 'blinks' alternate digits on the display, e.g. if the time was 12:34 then the blink would alternate between 1 & 3 and then 2 & 4 and this goes on for several minutes. There's no network activity and this occurs on both HD Fox T2s. Both are running CFW 3.13.

As the HD Fox is in standby I realise it's difficult to determine what is going on but I wondered if anyone knows what's happening.

Sounds like display or display driver hardware failure to me.
But I've never managed to get the time to display on mine. When I put it to Standby, it just has the red Standby LED lit and the display is blank.
How do I get it to show the time?

But I've never managed to get the time to display on mine. When I put it to Standby, it just has the red Standby LED lit and the display is blank.
How do I get it to show the time?
Turn off power saving in standby mode.

Ditto.

If fully in standby (ie USB power off and no network lights), there is only hardware activity. I might suggest some kind of interaction between insufficient PSU regulation and the display multiplexing creating a strobe effect. Maybe they all do it, but nobody's noticed before (my HD is never in standby, and I can't say I've noticed this on the operational display).

Ditto.

If fully in standby (ie USB power off and no network lights), there is only hardware activity. I might suggest some kind of interaction between insufficient PSU regulation and the display multiplexing creating a strobe effect. Maybe they all do it, but nobody's noticed before (my HD is never in standby, and I can't say I've noticed this on the operational display).
My two HD-Fox T2 boxes have done this on and off for as long as I can remember.

And at least one of mine.

I did spend an idle number of minutes once testing the theory that the flickering depended on the number of segments illuminated. There was some correlation but it wasn't a straightforward "more segments lit" => "more flickering".

You also get the "UPdA" message which means the system is flushing the disk(s) and shutting down processes before going into standby. In this state the box can be woken by the remote without rebooting, and the network survives. If the attached disk is something like an SD card, UPdA can be very short, but it takes about 15s with USB-attached 3.5" hard disk (eg, ex-Sky 500GB).

With power saving turned off, the UPdA doesn't seem to make it to the display - it just causes the clock readout to flicker.
I've got a naff 2.5" drive (160GB I think) on my HD with almost nothing on it, and it's a lot quicker than 15s.

Back