which log to check to understand why recording did not start

mihaid

I had a recording to start at 4pm. The T2 booted 3.25. But the Itvhd recording didn't start.

ITV is notorious for messing up autorecord start/stop signals. Best to use padding for their channels.
I, on the other hand find ITV to be Very reliable with accurate recording, and wouldn't even consider using padding.

I only use AR and find it reliable.
rslog says boot 15.25
redring log does not mention anything since last night, although I had a successful recording this morning.
Wherever else can I look?

I found other stuff. I got world cup on series recording and for some reason I have two failed match of the day recordings today, no matches Today. And failed itv matches.
Also just now playing the recording it went black screen. Reset and recording plays fine. I don't know what's happening

I think the football and tennis is causing schedule changes and the HDR-FOX is struggling to pick them up. Last week I got a failed recording message for Coast Australia on BBC Two. Wimbledon got shunted onto BBC Two and Coast Oz was removed from the schedule, but the guide had not refreshed to reflect this. Last night Kevin Bridges got messed up: the programme was transmitted 20 minutes earlier than in the EPG and the AR did not pick it up. How often does the EPG get refreshed and is this logged anywhere? How far in advance does a change in the EPG need to be made for the HDR-FOX to pick it up?

The EPG gets refreshed only when the HDR is active; it wakes up about 15 minutes prior to a recording to track early transmission of the programme ID, and if the ID is being transmitted continuously through the programme it ought to have started even if the programme was already running, but it seems some broadcasters transmit the ID only at the beginning of the programme.

More info in Things Every... (click) sections 3 & 4.

Note that the custom firmware logs only track things the CF can see happening - ie stuff af123 has specifically compiled into the CF code to output debug info. The most likely place to find the detail you want is in the RS log (on the RS server).

Check this failed recordings email out
/aWorld Cup/World Cup_ Colombia v Uruguay_20140629_1600
/aaWorld Cup/MOTD Live_ Brazil v Chile_20140628_2030

/aaWorld Cup/MOTD Live_ Brazil v Chile_20140629_1630

The first and third event did not exist yesterday.
Also when I pushed the manual record button for the ITVHD game I got the message about change recording duration as though the T2 was recording already when in fact it was not.

The EPG gets refreshed only when the HDR is active; it wakes up about 15 minutes prior to a recording to track early transmission of the programme ID, and if the ID is being transmitted continuously through the programme it ought to have started even if the programme was already running, but it seems some broadcasters transmit the ID only at the beginning of the programme.

More info in Things Every... (click) sections 3 & 4.

Note that the custom firmware logs only track things the CF can see happening - ie stuff af123 has specifically compiled into the CF code to output debug info. The most likely place to find the detail you want is in the RS log (on the RS server).
see post 49 for updated improved beahaviour here http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/failed-recording-which-should-not-have-failed-or-should-it.4554/page-3

Having reread posts 8to20 . I was surprised to see my T2 proceed to record a program which had a conflict for its beginning time. However when the tuner became free the T2 started recording it, unlike what happened in the first post. The delayed start was around 10min. I also have several of these which seem to suggest the broadcasters got better since the machine is the same.
Okay... so? All this says is that sometimes the ID flag is available throughout the programme and sometimes it isn't.

Also when I pushed the manual record button for the ITVHD game I got the message about change recording duration as though the T2 was recording already when in fact it was not.
Clearly something was going on, and the various triggers etc were not working properly. AFAIK the "failed recordings" email is using info from hmt files, so even though the recordings did not happen you should find an orphaned .hmt to indicate that an attempt was made.

Okay... so? All this says is that sometimes the ID flag is available throughout the programme and sometimes it isn't.
.....or that the broadcasters got better as mentioned in my post.
As to the failed recordings: I know what the email means, I've posted it so that people can see that it was trying to record a program which had already been recorded the day before. Wrong iD sent by broadcasters? It would be certain if other people's T2 behaved similarly.

.....or that the broadcasters got better as mentioned in my post.
I don't get you. The choice to transmit the ID throughout the programme or only at the start is permitted in the DTB spec. If it is transmitted throughout then it will allow AR recordings to start late when the tuners were previously tied up on other tasks, if not the recording will get missed. Auto-padding recordings should pick up whenever they are able to.

Whether the broadcasters are better at transmitting the correct AR codes can't be decided by recordings that have been missed due to late finish of previous recordings - the effect is masked by the late finish (and the broadcasters are entitled to only transmit the ID - AKA AR code - at the start of the programme). The only way this can be decided in a case such as this is if somebody else has the same recording and it can be examined to determine the population of ID codes.

You must have AR/padding in your head. Not me nor you were talking about AR. We were talking about transmitting ID throughout the programme that I suggested broadcasters got better at based on my experience detailed.
Now back to my quest: are there other people recording world cup on series rec?

And that is based on what?
What sequence of events would make AR trigger theT2 to record the previous days program?

You must have AR/padding in your head. Not me nor you were talking about AR.
You were in post #5
I only use AR and find it reliable.
but appear not to accept that the possibility of the problem being related to your use of the 'reliable' AR.
We were talking about transmitting ID throughout the programme {snip}
and that was to explain the possibility of ID transmission screwing up AR and give the failure that you complained about in post #1

Look, I don't want to be controversial. I think that mostly here we're friends but

If Trev read the thread properly he would've seen that post 5 was in response to someone earlier talking about unreliability, totally wrong in my experience.

As to me not accepting, that is not true. As we mainly base stuff here on facts, that suggestion remains exactly what you say, a possibility, ergo very far from certainty. If someone had evidence ( that's what I was asking for in post 16) that AR messed up my recording give it here.

To me it looks more likely that the bbc sent the wrong ID as shown in the name of failed recordings and possibly realised the mistake and the correction was too late for my T2.

Also why ID would screw up AR? Even if that was the case then it's clearly not caused by AR.

Back