Wideband LNB compatibility.

MikeSh

Currently have a 1010S but looking at replacing the dish (an old Sky setup). For 'future proofing' I'd like to fit a Wideband LNB but can't find if the 1010S can work OK with them. If not I'll have to plan on changing the box at the same time, which will be a bit annoying.

Anyone know more than me?

Currently have a 1010S but looking at replacing the dish (an old Sky setup). For 'future proofing' I'd like to fit a Wideband LNB but can't find if the 1010S can work OK with them. If not I'll have to plan on changing the box at the same time, which will be a bit annoying.

Anyone know more than me?
The 1010S won't work with solely a wideband feed. I think what you want is a hybrid LNB that will provide wideband and conventional satellite feeds.

To buy directly yourself, a few years ago the use to be only £5 to £10 pounds more expensive. Sky use to charge £50 to have them fitted instead of a pure wideband install.

My understanding is that the new ones available these days are ones where you have 2 wideband connectors and 2 or 4 traditional connectors. There use to be models where each connector could be used for wideband or traditional.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the new ones available these days are ones where you have 2 wideband connectors and 2 or 4 traditional connectors.
Do they still use the same connectors? (F type?) I'm hoping to not need to change the cabling.

Yes they do use F-plugs.

No point installing a Hybrid for future proofing unless you install additional cables at the same time... you'd need to swap cables between ports to avail of the correct 'type' of feed and if going up to the dish for that then you could just swap the LNB!

NB Only $ky and the freesat 4k boxes (currently) use the wideband type LNB signals.

4k box and $ky also support multi-tuner with dSCR LNB/feeds from communal systems on single cable. Not sure about your 1010S?? Foxsat-HDR has a SCR mode but I'm a tad hazy on the exact capability / specifics. THAT would be a difefrent dish and LNB completely, of course.

NB Cables also deteriorate over time (UV, expansion/contraction with heat); so if old enough may be worth an upgrade - insist on all copper (solid core, braid and screen with foam filling).

Yes they do use F-plugs.
:thumbsup:

No point installing a Hybrid for future proofing unless you install additional cables at the same time... you'd need to swap cables between ports to avail of the correct 'type' of feed and if going up to the dish for that then you could just swap the LNB!
That's pretty much my thoughts too, but I wasn't sure if my thinking was correct.

Only $ky and the freesat 4k boxes (currently) use the wideband type LNB signals.
Again, what I thought. Our 1010S is at least 7 years old (it was a refurb unit) and suffers with the poor retention of subtitle synching like the FOX Freeview boxes. So wanting/needing to replace it sooner than later is a consideration and a Freesat box which can do more simultaneous recordings would also be handy at times.

Cables also deteriorate over time (UV, expansion/contraction with heat); so if old enough may be worth an upgrade - insist on all copper (solid core, braid and screen with foam filling).
They are not exposed to much weather or sun and look in good condition, and it means removing a bookcase inside to get at the wall-plate. But they'd need extending to the new location which introduces another outdoor joint which I'm not keen about, so replacement is not discounted at this stage.

Back