Will an SSD work in an HDR1100S

I was thinking of putting a larger drive in my HDR1100S and wondered if anyone had tried an SSD?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

I thought it might be quieter than a hard drive and maybe cheaper? Just a bit of an experiment really.
I think experimenting is a good thing. It would certainly be quieter. Not sure if it will be cheaper but not much difference in price. Various people are using SSDs in Humax PVRs and they will work but they do have a finite life determined by the Terrabytes Written (TBW) parameter. For instance a 500GB Samsung 870 EVO has a guaranteed lifetime of 300TBW whilst a 1TB drive has a guaranteed lifetime of 600TBW.

For instance a 500GB Samsung 870 EVO has a guaranteed lifetime of 300TBW whilst a 1TB drive has a guaranteed lifetime of 600TBW.
Hi Martin,
Do we have any idea what 300TBW means in real time use, it seems like a lot of data, but what about the "Rewind Live TV" . That will be recording the broadcast channel all day long.
SSD might not be a good idea.

Take a look at existing discussion in the HDR-FOX area of the forum – the situation is the same. "ssd" is too short a search term for the forum search facility, so use Google: site:hummy.tv/forum ssd.

Do we have any idea what 300TBW means in real time use, it seems like a lot of data, but what about the "Rewind Live TV" . That will be recording the broadcast channel all day long.
I have done the calculations before; I am too busy today to do the calculations again but if you say whether you record mainly in SD or HD, how long the box is on for each day and how many hours of TV you record, I can give you an expected lifetime.

I have done the calculations before; I am too busy today to do the calculations again but if you say whether you record mainly in SD or HD, how long the box is on for each day and how many hours of TV you record, I can give you an expected lifetime.
Many thanks for your kind offer but I've just had a look at the HDR Fox Forum that Black Hole suggested and the general consensus seems to be that SSDs aren't a good idea for this application.

My current one under trial hasn't blown up... yet.

My summary of the current situation with SSDs is that the lifetime has improved significantly but the benefit is marginal although the cost premium is decreasing. I suspect it would be more difficult to recover recordings from a failing SSD than a failing HDD. If you have a specific reason to use an SSD (eg noise or thermal control), go for it – otherwise stick with a spinny disk.

Back