Word list for a UK quick spell checker check

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
(Why is FF putting a red underline thingy under 'programme'? Grrr...)
Probably got US English selected
Right click while replying and select Languages

It looks as though it is now a lot simpler to instal a working language pack in Firefox than it use to be. You use to be able to select UK English and the spell checker remained (a subjective) over 50% USA English. It is now a bit more obvious than it used to be that that there is an additional dictionary that can be optionally installed.
If anyone wants to test a spell checker for UK English here are a few groups of words that you could use. I'll leave it to anyone who uses them to decide what their spell checker should accept or reject.

Group 1: cosy, centre, colour, draught, draughts, enquiries, enquiry, favourite, flavour, kilometre, harbour, humour, licence, litre, maths, neighbour, programme, résumé, theatre, travelled, tyre, Ashton-under-Lyne, Birkenhead, Darvel, East Kilbride, Kilbirnie, Londonderry, Loughborough, Lytham St Anne's, Kirkcaldy and Dysart, Limavady, Merthyr Tydfil, Middlesbrough, Prescot, Skelmersdale, St Helens, Sutton Coldfield, Tacolneston, Wath upon Dearne, Wenvoe.

Group 2: catalog, center, color, cozy, favorite, harbor, humor, installment, jewelry, kilometer, liter, neighbor, theater, traveled.

Group 3: airplane, billfold, checkroom, clothespin, coatroom, crosswalk, downtown, drugstore, everyplace, expressway, faucet, flashlight, freeway, mailman, math, mom, mortician, sidewalk, sneakers, streetcar, thumbtack, tux, tuxedo, undershirt, zipper.

Group 4: cellphone, headteacher, postbox.

Group 5: biro.

Group 6: aubergine, ball-point, blinker, catalogue, chemist's, cilantro, courgette, eggplant, fish-fingers, fish-sticks, gents, kerosene, jewellery, ladybird, ladybug, loo, mackintosh, movie, mum, trash, zucchini.

Add instal and knwon.

Doesn't FF use the Chromium engine now? Opera has an option to set the language.

On Windoze, I always remove the US English OS language, which is there by default, as well as UK English.

On Android, I rarely connect a mouse, to do a right click.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-190611.png
    Screenshot_20210206-190611.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Scrat: you need to be less cryptic.
that that
use to be

...but "knwon" might be a deliberate joke:
1612693078613.png

UK variant "instal"
That's funny, the American dictionaries define it as the British variant, and the British dictionaries define it as the American variant. I don't think I have ever seen it without a double L. Typically it is American spelling which leaves out double L's in the likes of "traveling" (and has been taken up in UK spelling - ugh).

Last edited:
Luke's idea is good, to paste in a set of words just to make sure a program is using the OS language dictionary. My other comments were facetious, sorry Luke.

Back