Words we cannot abide.

RobH1

Trev used a word in a recent post, so I thought starting this thread to maybe ease a little tension building in the fora.

Gobsmacked - a hideous word.

Dumbing down: "train" instead of "railway"

Frequently on TV weather forecasts (Carol Kirkwood): "as well" when "also" or "either" would have been more appropriate

Unnecessary padding words (typically used by Americans but taking hold elsewhere): "timeframe" (rarely will the sentence not be improved by simply leaving it out)

Americanisms: "can I get"; "momentarily" (which is an adverb so means "briefly", not "soon")

Expanding the thread somewhat, misuse (or lack of understanding) of common words e.g.

Your/you're
Lose/loose
Their/there/they're
To/too

Feel free to add more. What about the posters who use a comma instead of an apostrophe? This seems to be creeping in.

Ramp up - pretend we're increasing something.
Fake news - probably the truth.
Blindingly obvious - no it isn't.

Share that with/Sharing (tell me some more fake news)
Reaching out. (recently)
All manner of office jargon/boardroom speak. See HERE

All manner of office jargon/boardroom speak.
You win! All the rubbish uttered by a character in "Drop the dead donkey" was hilarious. Trouble was, people in the HR department started using such twaddle.

HR (Human resources) - What's wrong with personnel departments? (It's not as though personnel is sexist or racist)

Deliver, and much worse, "deliver on" .

My wife works at a University. They don't teach anything these days, they deliver learning.

When did learning become a noun?

Yes but in that case it's the 'materials' and the 'objects' that are the nouns, and the 'learning' thus becomes an adjective so the 'learning' is still not a noun.

Getting a bit fed up with "Social distancing" - the overuse of the words rather than the concept.
PPE - ditto.

Back