Xmas Already!

Kent news? That item is about a garden centre in Lincolnshire!
Items listed on a Notts news site quite often are about Merseyside or Leeds. Items from other areas seem to get displayed in the family of Trinity Mirror sites that is "[Location] Live".

I am all for "keep Sunday special", and even more for "keep Christmas special"... the novelty wears off too quickly.

The last time I went through Nottingham City Centre on a Sunday (hospital visit, not shopping) it was almost like a Saturday afternoon. (That is, a Saturday afternoon in the UK. I do remember visiting Germany, quite a long time ago now, and Saturday was half-day. You could walk around the centre of Munich on a Saturday afternoon and it was quiet. I wonder if that still is the case. )
I'd keep Sunday special. I'd also like to keep Christmas special - wait until December. Christmas films in September/October/November - why? Unfortunately the novelty has worn off for me.

On Saturday a local charity shop had a Xmas section complete with small tree, three months before the day. Apparently head office orders.

I detest Xmas and pre-Covid spent that time abroad where they have a more pragmatic approach to the festive season.

My wife told me a couple of days ago that one of our local town stores had a shelf dedicated to Xmas items. I can't understand all the hype, and while TV is dire now, well Xmas TV/radio is totally crap.

Maybe, but in September???
I've few been complaining for years that we now spend more than 25% of the year dealing with one annual event. It's just a money-fest. I wish Jesus would reresurrect and come down to kick a few stalls over again, though I doubt even he'd have much effect.

And I can remember New Year sales ... they seem to be creeping this side of Christmas now. Again, it's pure profiteering.

I think it's marketing. He who strikes first gets the most sales (to all the idiots who think they need everything sorted months in advance or disaster will ensue).
With supermarket shelves already lacking some items and warnings of possible shortages of toys and turkey at Christmas its little wonder they are cashing in now before the panic buying fools strip the shelves of anything with a Santa, reindeer or snowman on the packaging.

I noticed Sainsbury’s are selling mince pies. Keep Christmas in December! Better still, just cancel it.

Holy Crap, it starts again this Thursday :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
0 5 hit! There have been some decent film on "Classic", there won't be on "Xmas". Yawn!
I'll second that on mince pies. Maybe get Aldi stollen and xmas pud when they arrive. Bit early, but what the heck? Something to look forward to, along with the departure of the (un)Culture(d) Secretary. :dance: An early xmas gift for the country!

I don't know what's the matter with people over the "mince pies", at least not the shop-bought variety. Far too sweet, not at all traditional.

I'm afraid all this focus on Christmas achieves is to create over-expectation, and (for those who have experienced tragedy) make feelings of loss even more poignant.

On a lighter note – as seen in today's Mail:
Rising energy costs will force me to delay putting on the sprouts until November 1st.
That's already two months late.

Stuff tradition! Any excuse for comfort eating. Problem is, excess eating and lack of exercise (very painful knee) will lead to weight increase. Any Santa jobs going? Ho, ho, effing ho! (With apologies to Willie Rushton - "Super pig").
Don't think I've ever put the sprouts on that early.

Just the one painful knee? Try one-legged skipping.
The other knee is a little bit sore. I think one-legged skipping or hopping will knacker that one as well. Walking is my preferred type of exercise. That is difficult, and painful, at present. :(

The other knee is a little bit sore. I think one-legged skipping or hopping will knacker that one as well. Walking is my preferred type of exercise. That is difficult, and painful, at present. :(
So you're experiencing the "saved" NHS as we speak. hmmm ...

Popped in to Home Bargains this morning and they have two aisles devoted to Xmas crap essentials. :devilish:

Back