You View at Last??

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's what I thought and don't really want to buy another set top box separately for You View at £300. :(

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's what I thought and don't really want to buy another set top box separately for You View at £300. :(

Give it a few weeks and there will be Raspberry Pi that does all the bits that the HDR/HD can't do for £25 with a bit of luck :)

Anyone know what the possibilities might be of taking the various on-demand players from the youview/humax box and loading onto a normal humax ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Anyone know what the possibilities might be of taking the various on-demand players from the youview/humax box and loading onto a normal humax ?

I think the first step would be getting hold of a copy of the Humax You-View box code, not available yet as far as I know

It looks good, but it comes with a heafty price tag..
I think this is the "real" reason why we've not had ITV Player, 4OD & 5 OnDemand as they are all stakeholders and want YouView to be one of the only places where they are all available to try and force it to be a success story.

Website is up. http://www2.youview.com/

The catchup looks like it works well, just scroll back and play.

i wonder will it still allow avi/mp4 playback. I'm tempted.. just standard gadget envy :)

if it does take off it will make the average persons life a lot handier, ol grannys and the like!

...if it does take off it will be a way to sell broadband to people who have not so far needed it!

... but they'll buy the budget version and soon hit their 20GB/month caps if they treat catch-up TV as no different to live.

i wonder will it still allow avi/mp4 playback. I'm tempted.. just standard gadget envy

No idea. I'd hope it would, along with FTP, DLNA server & client and all the other good things that we're used to with the HDR-Fox T2. I can't see it being a compelling replacement though. From what I've read on various forums and blogs (although the posts do mysteriously vanish most of the time : ) it has a few niggles that appear to be as-designed. If you look at the picture of the remote control and the screenshots in the user guide for example then you can infer that quick switching between things like the guide, your scheduled recordings and recorded content is no longer as simple as it should be (and we're used to).

This isn't Humax's fault of course, they don't have any control over the interface components - I wonder if that means they will continue to sell their own boxes?

I've also read in various places that cold boot time is appalling with the trial devices with the screen showing 'NEARLY READY' towards the end. If that's true then I wonder why and if it can be fixed before they start shipping them to consumers.

Just to be clear, I'm not on the trial. If you are, the NDA that you accepted prohibits you from disclosing anything about the box, or even that you are participating.

...if it does take off it will be a way to sell broadband to people who have not so far needed it!

And presumably make my contended line slower. My download speed has dropped by 33% in the last six months due to the take up in my area with my ISP (albeit to a still reasonable 8+Mbps)

Yup. What has always bothered me with the likely rise of IP-delivered video services is how much bandwidth will remain available for ordinary web surfing. I know people say greater demand will lead to greater installed infrastructure, but with traffic shaping (priority given to delivering time-sensitive packets - ie streamed video and audio), we soon reach a point where anything not priority gets kicked off.

It is rumoured that telephone companies might even ditch POTS in favour of IP telephony to the house, and thus combine it with the data connection to the house. One nuclear blast and we end up with no means of communication at all - the Plain Old Telephone System would keep going through thick and thin (including power outages).

Heaven forbid that I should be left with no telephone after a nuclear blast! How would I complain if my Tesco order was late?

You may well mock - just wait until civilisation collapses and we can't even put a cats whisker radio together because all the radio stations went digital!

Back