[youtube-dl] Download files from youtube.com or other video platforms

It would be quite useful to have a summary table in the wiki or post 1 listing which broadcasters it does/does not work with, I keep forgetting

I can confirm ITV Hub works, though the default is not very high def. - about 1gb for a (normally) 2 hour show.

I've not figured out how to get higher def yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Perhaps these (claimed, not tested by me):
  • Dplay (Discovery network: Quest, DMAX)
  • UKTVPlay (Yesterday, Dave, Drama, etc)
  • DailyMotion

It would be quite useful to have a summary table in the wiki or post 1 listing which broadcasters it does/does not work with, I keep forgetting
The Wiki currently says Youtube, BBC Iplayer, ITV Hub and I'm not sure that has changed, I can't get UKTVplay to work and haven't tried /df's other suggestions, if anyone can state that other mainstream offerings work then post the results here and I will add it to the Wiki

EDIT

I have added this Wiki note :-
Code:
Mainsteam sites Working on the Humax Version
Youtube, BBC Iplayer, ITV-Hub

Mainstream sites Not Working on the Humax Version
Channel4, My5, UKTVPlay

Last edited:
I don't think the 'Not Working' sites are specific to the Humax version, though that isn't strictly implied. There may be sites that work with the native HLS but not with ffmpeg, and those could well fail on the Humax CF platform, but the listed sites fail for other reasons.

DPlay worked on both Linux PC and HDR with the 2019-11-22 version of YTDL.
Code:
youtube-dl -f 'hls-463+hls-64' 'https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/nigel-slaters-simple-suppers/video/planning-ahead/EHD_283342B'
I chose a shortish programme: more obviously desirable targets, say EFL, might be more heavily obscured so as to defeat third-party streamdownloading. The web player is picky about the browser version but does play with Linux+Firefox after version spoofing, enabling a few sites for JS and disabling AdBlockPlus.

UKTVPlay isn't currently working on any platform, and doesn't look like being enabled because UKTV send encrypted streams that YTDL can't decrypt (unlike DPlay and ITV). As the web player wants registration I couldn't be bothered to test it.

Same for All4 as far as I can tell without actual testing.

I have been successfully downloading shows from www.dplay.co.uk. My only problem was there are no subtitles available. Is that just a lack in the service provided or do I need to do something extra?

Apparently there is a football final featuring two minor London teams this evening, whose free-to-air viewing is via YouTube. The following procedures may allow you to watch the show live using your Humax HD/HDR, once you've found the URL ($url below) from YouTube, since YouTube no longer understands its Humax Portal app.

First, find the formats provided (note - if you have just installed the youtube-dl package with no other hacks, you'll need to say python /mod/bin/youtube-dl instead of youtube-dl in all the following):
Code:
youtube-dl -F $url
From this you can pick the desired video and audio format codes. If the final is distributed in a similar way to the preview show, there will be a format with both audio and video, selectable with -f best[height<=1080] to avoid resolutions beyond the capability of the Humax decoder. Then you can stream the download like this:
Code:
# adapt this to "/media/whatever/Video" for HD Fox
vids=/media/My\ Video
youtube-dl -f "best[height<=1080]" -o - $url | ffmpeg -i - -acodec copy -vcodec copy "${vids}/baku.ts"
Now you should be able to watch baku.ts as it's streamed to your box.

If the final had had no format with both audio and video, you'd have needed to pick the desired video and audio codes from the listing. For the preview, you could have 136=video,720p,1903kbit/s,avc1, 140=audio,DASH,133kbit/s,m4a (you do want a combination with AVC with height <= 1080 and m4a). Then find the super-long media URLs for each format:
Code:
vurl="$(youtube-dl -f 136 -g $url)"
aurl="$(youtube-dl -f 140 -g $url)"
Finally:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "$vurl" -i "$aurl" -acodec copy -vcodec copy "${vids}/baku.ts"

And again sit back to watch baku.ts.

After the event, or at least its first half (appropriate updates above):
  • all versions of the live stream were transmitted as combined video and audio;
  • some of the video encodings featured ambitiously high resolutions that the Humax video decoder doesn't recognise: make sure the video height doesn't exceed 1080;
  • the 1920x1080 stream had code 96.
This is what I actually used:
Code:
youtube-dl -f 96 https://youtu.be/Sw8wJvn6_sk -o - | ffmpeg -hide_banner -i - -vcodec copy -acodec copy "/media/My Video/Europa Final 2019.ts"
Add -mpegts_m2ts_mode true[/u] before the output file name for proper m2ts format.[/u] And there's another chance to test this on Saturday involving two Northern teams (north of the Marylebone Road, anyway).

If you have a 4k tv is it not obvious that you could watch that content via the inbuilt yt app, rather than all of the above?

I know it was half a year ago.

If you have a 4k tv is it not obvious that you could watch that content via the inbuilt yt app, rather than all of the above?
Perhaps, but 4k smart TV falls outside my use case: "watch the show live using your Humax HD/HDR ..., since YouTube no longer understands its Humax Portal app".

Also, the YTDL solution leaves you with a playable recording.

You might as well say "If you have a private jet and sufficient bribes, is it not obvious that you could watch the match live from the President's box?"

Perhaps, but 4k smart TV falls outside my use case: "watch the show live using your Humax HD/HDR ..., since YouTube no longer understands its Humax Portal app".

Also, the YTDL solution leaves you with a playable recording.

You might as well say "If you have a private jet and sufficient bribes, is it not obvious that you could watch the match live from the President's box?"

I think you missed my point completely. what's the point of watching live or recording the 4k show if you DON'T HAVE a 4k set?

I think you missed my point completely. what's the point of watching live or recording the 4k show if you DON'T HAVE a 4k set?

Who said anything about watching it in 4k? (Apart from you, of course) :dunno:
In fact the instructions specifically mention restricting to a 1080p stream.

Reactions: /df
Who said anything about watching it in 4k? (Apart from you, of course) :dunno:
In fact the instructions specifically mention restricting to a 1080p stream.
it seems you have not read the earlier comments.
Answer this: why would df download the 4k content if he did not intend to watch it on a 4k set?

it seems you have not read the earlier comments.
I read the post you quoted, that's how it works. As a freebie I went back as far as the top of that page - I found nothing else related to recording live football.

Answer this: why would df download the 4k content if he did not intend to watch it on a 4k set?

He didn't, he downloaded the 1080p version.

Last edited:
Another method is to copy and paste the youtube video url to Allavsoft and click Download button.
It also helps to download from vimeo,facebook etc

I sincerely apologise to both of you. I saw df's post about a game on youtube and because I knew that's been broadcast in 4k I made the imbecile leap to think that df was talking about that 4k broadcast.

Another method is to copy and paste the youtube video url to Allavsoft and click Download button.
It also helps to download from vimeo,facebook etc
This means you have a Mac or Windows machine available and are saving the download to your Humax or a file share that it can read. The CF youtube-dl package does everything on the Humax, is free, and supports other sites such as Vimeo and Facebook.

Also, in the case of live material like last year's Euro finals, as discussed at cross purposes above, you can with some fiddling save the file as MPEG-TS so that the Humax can show the programme as it's being streamed.

Back