[youtube-dl] Download files from youtube.com or other video platforms

As that is a one-post wonder, it could be a spammer.
Hmm logged in from two different IP addresses; one in China, the other in the USA. I'll give the user the benefit of the doubt for now but more posts of a similar nature will not be looked on favourably.

I am getting an Error 403 when trying to download from BBC iplayer.

humax# youtube -v https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05s86by/the-disappearance-episode-3
[debug] System config: []
[debug] User config: []
[debug] Custom config: [u'--prefer-ffmpeg', u'-f', u'best[height<=?1080]']
[debug] Command-line args: [u'--config-location', u'/mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf', u'--restrict-filenames', u'-o', u'/mnt/hd2/My V
ideo/%(title)s.%(ext)s', u'-v', u'https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05s86by/the-disappearance-episode-3']
[debug] Encodings: locale ASCII, fs ASCII, out ASCII, pref ASCII
[debug] youtube-dl version 2019.11.22
[debug] Python version 2.7.1 (CPython) - Linux-2.6.18-7.1-7405b0-smp-with-libc0
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg 4.1, ffprobe 4.1
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[bbc.co.uk] b05s86by: Downloading video page
[bbc.co.uk] b05s86by: Downloading playlist JSON
[bbc.co.uk] b05s8583: Downloading media selection XML
[bbc.co.uk] b05s8583: Downloading m3u8 information
WARNING: Failed to download m3u8 information: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Can someone explain what the problem is and whether there is a workaround.

Thanks
Rob.

What about the rest of the output that you didn't bother to post?
Code:
[bbc.co.uk] b05s8583: Downloading MPD manifest
[debug] Invoking downloader on u'https://bbcfmt-ic-d49f6d00-062968-vodhlsuklive.s.loris.llnwd.net/usp/auth/vod/piff_abr_full_hd/5fa557-b05s8583/vf_b05s8583_9d449d16-2da6-4efe-a929-46eb1f4a03e0.ism.hlsv2.ism/vf_b05s8583_9d449d16-2da6-4efe-a929-46eb1f4a03e0.ism.hlsv2-audio_eng_1=128000-video=5070000.m3u8'
[hlsnative] Downloading m3u8 manifest
[hlsnative] Total fragments: 406
[download] Destination: /mnt/hd2/My Video/The_Disappearance_Episode_3.mp4
[download]   2.6% of ~1.76GiB at  1.29MiB/s ETA 27:39
This shows it downloading successfully.

I've updated the package to the latest version, but it works just the same.

Last edited:
I've had quite a few :-
from BBC I-Player recently, but the downloads always completed successfully

Yes the download completes but I have not tried viewing it yet. I have seen elsewhere people complaining about the same error and then the download not giving the best format by default. I have used the -f parameter to specify the best format.

It is not just the BBC that is causing the error but anyway there appears to be some sort of format change in the m3u8 file that youtube-dl is not handling correctly. If yt-dl doesn't need this information then why parse it?

Similar has happened with get-iplayer. Get-iplayer released a patch very quickly. One might me available for youtube-dl.
Can anyone easily put their finger on recent release notes for youtube-dl to check?

The get-iplayer issue was related to two of the 25fps, hls modes being unavailable - I notice they do not appear in youtube-dl either (latest version 28/11 - no update since this issue came about).

With default settings youtube-dl should download the 50fps HD stream as usual - as confirmed by the file size in prpr's output as well as my own test just now.

Hi All, just came across this link on the bbc new site: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50747526 talking about Samsung TV's stopping working with iplayer until Samsung get their act together. The BBC post did also mention that a little while back they were stopping support for certain LG TVs too. I was just wondering if our humax boxes might invariably soon hit the same problem given the age of the box or protocol support etc etc. I'm not talking about the iplayer on the portal specifically (as it always crashes on me!) but more to do with this new means of accessing the iplayer via the youtube downloader app.

Any thoughts most welcome

Thanks

Rodp

youtube-dl and get-iplayer are community supported and independent of the major manufacturers or service providers, therefore more able to adapt than an access mechanism burnt into a fixed asset.

Samsung TV's stopping working with iplayer until Samsung get their act together.
Our Samsung TV circa 2013 had a software update within the last 2 weeks. However, as I haven't experienced the iPlayer problem I do not know if this is the fix.

Trying to download the BBC series Shrill, but for each of the six episodes I get the same error. Not sure if that is related to recent changes.

Annotation 2019-12-18 120033.png

For info I downloaded Holby City from BBC iPlayer this morning and it was fine. Unfortunately I didn't do it early enough so it came with audio description...

Trying to download the BBC series Shrill, but for each of the six episodes I get the same error...
Not something I'd watch but I tried downloading it using Youtube-DLG (the GUI front end for Youtube-DL) on this PC and got the same result as you.

Trying to download the BBC series Shrill, but for each of the six episodes I get the same error. Not sure if that is related to recent changes.
You've found this bug. YTDL finds a playlist with only captions, presumably with some newly rolled-out pages featuring more exotic scripting.

The next version of youtube-dl, to be released in the near future, seems not to install properly the first time (possibly due to opkg stupidity).
It seems to need a second attempt to make it work.
This is due to changes made by @/df and me to make handling of the configuration file a bit easier.
Code:
humax# opkg install youtube-dl
Upgrading youtube-dl on root from 2020.01.24 to 2020.02.16...
Removing obsolete file /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf.
Not deleting modified conffile /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf.
Configuring youtube-dl.
Collected errors:
 * file_md5sum_alloc: Failed to open file /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf: No such file or directory.

humax# opkg install youtube-dl
Installing youtube-dl (2020.02.16) to root...
Configuring youtube-dl.

Looks like one of my boxes was still on the December version despite auto-update. Manual installation corrected it.

Could be the same problem just highlighted by prpr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since this latest update all downloads from the BBC seem to be lowest quality. Has the default config changed?
How do I get it to default to best?
It may be intertwined with th Qtube package.

Edit:
This is my config file at /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf

--restrict-filenames
--prefer-ffmpeg
-f "best[height<=?1080][fps<=?30]"
-o "/mnt/hd2/My Video/%(title)s.%(ext)s"

Last edited:
Back