[tunefix] Automatic channel organisation and maintenance

The renumber package always struggled if you tried to move a channel to a number that was already in use. What does tunefix do?
Do I have to move things out of the way, or will it move them out of the way for me? i.e. If I want to put ITV2 +1 onto channel no. 32, do I need to move Movie Mix out of the way or will that be done for me?

Just installed the latest version and it deleted the channels I expected.

Thanks to prpr for the utility and fixing it in a timely manner.

The renumber package always struggled if you tried to move a channel to a number that was already in use. What does tunefix do?
You'll end up with a duplicate. Don't do it.
Do I have to move things out of the way, or will it move them out of the way for me? i.e. If I want to put ITV2 +1 onto channel no. 32, do I need to move Movie Mix out of the way or will that be done for me?
Where would you expect it to be put?

Well, that nicely avoided answering both questions.:rolleyes:
Q1. When I ran tunefix, it put the HD channels at 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and the SD versions at 101, 102 etc. Worked for me.
Q2 ????

You'll end up with a duplicate. Don't do it.

Where would you expect it to be put?

Oops, I just did, and yes, I've got duplicates. Fixed the settings and off to do another retune now.

I don't know! Swap them with what's getting put on top? Or maybe shift them to somewhere empty, 400+?

Or maybe shift them to somewhere empty, 400+?
Not everyone's 400s are empty. I move the non-deleted channels from COM 4 to the 400s prefixing the 3rd digit from the right of the LCN with the number 4.

Not everyone's 400s are empty. I move the non-deleted channels from COM 4 to the 400s prefixing the 3rd digit from the right of the LCN with the number 4.
This is why you have to move things yourself if you want to fiddle with the order. Trying to second guess what somebody wants is a recipe for pleasing mostly nobody. Hence the "where would you expect it to be put" question.

Trying to second guess what somebody wants is a recipe for pleasing mostly nobody. Hence the "where would you expect it to be put" question.
Ah Ha. I understand the question now
What puzzled me a bit is why did it put BBC3 HD at ch7 when I had not explicitly told it to?

Last edited:
The tunefix package, of course.
That is not a given. "It" could mean many things, which is why people should define what they are talking about before using "it".
Tunefix doesn't change things without being told to do so, so either there is a config. line for it to do so, or the database was like that beforehand for whatever reason. Or something else is changing it.

So, to answer what I assume was the question: "it" didn't.
Try putting BBC3 HD back to something else, reboot, then remove the rule and reboot again and see what happens. If tunefix is doing anything, it will be shown in the xinit.log file.

That is not a given.
Agreed, but it was pretty obvious what Trev meant, and making the presumption and answering on that basis (with an appropriate rider in case the presumption was incorrect), as per post 71, would have made progress appear less like pulling teeth. Just saying.

In the event, I made the presumption for you so as to allow the discussion to move on. If the presumption is correct, Trev has his answer (sort of!).

The renumber package always struggled if you tried to move a channel to a number that was already in use.
It should handle that properly. It is supposed to swap them if you move one on top of an existing one.
renumber uses the usOrgLcn field to track previous LCNs so that it automatically fixes things on boot to match the user's configuration. prpr - you're welcome to that code if it's something you want to integrate into tunefix. Fine if you don't want to too.

Of course the assumption (or is it presumption?) is correct. The whole damn thread is about tunefix isn't it (it being the thread in this case)
Right then, to try to be a little more specific. Prior to installing tunefix, I had channel del and renumber running. Renumber reallocated LCNs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 to BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV HD, Ch4 HD and BBC3 HD respectively and put the SD versions of these LCNs at 101, 102 etc.
I uninstalled renumber, but did not delete any associated database. I uninstalled channeldel and its associated database as suggested by prpr in post #4. I then installed tunefix and left the settings at default, as I noticed that it was going to re allocate BBC1 HD, BBC2HD, ITV HD and Ch4 HD to LCNs 1, 2, 3 and 4. I did not investigate where it might put the SD versions of these LCNs.
Having done that, I did a full automatic retune. On completion of this, I found the SD versions mentioned in my previous paragraph at LCNs 101, 102, 103, 104 and found BBC3 SD at LCN 107. I then checked the lower LCNs and forund, as expected, BBC1 HD at LCN 1 etc, but with BBC3 HD at LCN 7.
The reason for my query at post #68 that raised the 'what is it' question, was because I hadn't specifically set tunefix to do this (put BBC3 HD at LCN 7). As it (whatever that might be) has put BBC3 HD at LCN 7, I really can't be assed to try to find out why, but was just asking in case there was a quick answer.

As it stands, removing the renumber package will not stop it from running* so it's likely still working in the background. Remove /var/lib/humaxtv/reorder.db if you want to stop it.

I believe that renumber will run before tunefix (alphabetic order).

(* Yes, that's a fault)

Last edited:
Remove the package and remove that database file.
Currently tunefix doesn't provide a way (as far as I can see) to do what you want though (swap HD and SD channel positions).

Well something did it. Back to my post #68 and prpr at #69. What exactly was the 'it' that I was referring to that did it?

Nice package, many thanks. Minor improvement for a future version, please could the channel number boxes for the force channel numbers be wide enough to accommodate 4 digits instead of 3. I have BBC One London assigned to channel 1001, which currently shows on the settings page as simply '100’.

Back