Interesting Items...

The only advantage over cat 5/6 I can see is if the co-ax cables already run between areas you need to connect together, you would need a co-ax network already in place
The advantage is when you are in a relatively new-build house that has aerial points everywhere but has not had the foresight to fit Ethernet points everywhere. You have a chance of feeding smart TVs etc without having to chase out walls (or use WiFi or HomePlug). Not so useful in the study (say) where there is less likely to be an existing TV point.

I remember co-ax networking. This thing was meant as an alternative to HomePlug. It is claimed not to turn your house into a radio beacon. OTOH, as stated, you need the aerial leads running in the right directions, but if you are going to have to do that then Cat5e/6 is better.

I reckon it is a desperate attempt from a SW radio ham to reclaim his hobby.

Huh? This is almost how networking was done about 30 years ago... 50 ohm RG58 co-ax with BNC connectors and T pieces.

Only about 20 years even. It was used on our process control network. Nightmare :eek: . Adapters like bricks, the cable was really thick and hard to route discretely.
While programming a system in the office we had about 6 computers (DECs, PDP9s, etc I think) hooked up in a chain with the controllers - T piece at each node with a termination plug in the space at each end. We had great trouble because every computer couldn't 'see' all the other devices - one or two would be missing, but not the same one(s) as seen from each node. After a lot of wasted time and effort someone realised one of the termination plugs was 75Ohm not 50 :oops: (Transmission line reflections).

When we moved to Cat5 (or maybe less) a few years later it was so easy :hug:

I reckon it is a desperate attempt from a SW radio ham to reclaim his hobby.
Wouldn't radio hams affected by people locally using HomePlug be taking it up with the radio regulatory authority? There are regulations about emission of interference, and while one can get away with anything unless somebody complains, in this case there would be somebody complaining!

I never came across that as a physics undergrad!

Without the maths to back it up it is useless.

Anyway, the car video is incorrect. The car would not appear to be contracted as it passes us. It's only calculation that allows us to deduce contraction. It would appear slightly rotated and distorted, as is now well known.

Wouldn't radio hams affected by people locally using HomePlug be taking it up with the radio regulatory authority? There are regulations about emission of interference, and while one can get away with anything unless somebody complains, in this case there would be somebody complaining!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bdxcuk/ukqrm.html

It is now reported by UKQRM that Ofcom is only accepting complaints from licensed radio amateurs and that complaints from broadcast listeners should, in the first instance, be made throught the BBC's Radio and Television Interference Service (link above) which should then refer such cases to Ofcom for action. However complainants have been receiving the following message from RTIS:
"Ofcom will not accept a referral from RTIS or undertake an investigation where:
1) Interference only affects equipment using indoor aerials.
2) Interference only affects LW/MW (AM) services.
3) Interference only affects non-domestic services; eg, short wave services.
4) Interference only affects non-broadcast service; eg, alarms, portable phones, Wi-Fi systems, Amateur Radio users.

I had a browse while I was in my local Asda... it could be a mistake but they had Cruzer 32GB UPDs knocked down to £15.

Also 10m RJ45 patch leads (black) for £8.

Next step is attack drones using AI to work out that a good place (for them) to hide from defence drones is in schools and hospitals etc.

Windows 7 magazine October 2014:

www.blitzortung.org

Command line trick I didn't know: standard output can be piped to the clipboard buffer "clip". Thus
Code:
dir | clip

..results in the directory listing being available to paste into a document, instead of (what I previously did)
Code:
dir > dir.txt

..and then having to open the dir.txt file and copy from there.

Last edited:
What's all this about the 1st September EU moratorium on the production or sale of hoovers over 1000W? I hadn't spotted that creeping up, and they are talking about power limits on other things too: lawn mowers, hair dryers...

I'm not sure whether this is for power economy or noise abatement.

Back