Interesting Items...

If you prefer emboldened text that's up to you, leave everyone else to their own preferences. Maybe you have a great deal of experience in this kind of thing. In case you hadn't noticed, I would rather emphasise than shout.

Isn't underlining for occasions where you don't have bold and italic available, eg, ancient typewriting equipment and handwriting?
If I'm using a uniform style I was taught at school to consider using single quotes instead of italics as the prime substitute.

Why wouldn't using an italic alphabet not be available when handwriting?

Bold is not shouting. It is emphasising. ALL CAPS is shouting. But that's only the style that most people understand and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that you follow that particular internet convention.;)

Why wouldn't using an italic alphabet not be available when handwriting?

Well, you can, but I doubt if many people would notice the difference between, say, an italic e and an ordinary e in handwriting. Bold is even harder to write. :confused: I remember that bold symbols like vectors had to be handwritten as underlined characters because otherwise nobody could see the boldness, but that was a hack, and when they made it into print they generally reverted to bold symbols, v rather than underlined symbols v.

If you prefer emboldened text that's up to you, leave everyone else to their own preferences. Maybe you have a great deal of experience in this kind of thing.

I think you have forgotten the purpose of this forum, BH! Anyway, underlining has had its day. It was always a compromise, when typefaces in bold and italic for headings and emphasis, came into common usage. It is no longer needed now that word processing is so common, apart from in a typed or written document for markup purposes. Even its use in hyperlinks is less common now.

Did the underscore even exist before typewriters? Anyone know? To be governed by a deficiency in typewriters, which were only invented in the 1860s, and to use underline rather than italic or bold, seems a strange convention, to say the least.

Edit: Isn't the egregious typewriter also responsible for us having to have both Carriage Return and Line Feed?

I still emphasise like *this* as a hangover from when we all used bulletin boards and usenet on teletypes with no fancy underlining or emboldening available.

Ooooh. All caps and Bold. That's serious shouting. I think the underline and italics is totally superfluous here.

To continue from EP's quote
Tinsel wire is produced by wrapping several strands of thin metal foil around a flexible nylon or textile core.
So tinsel IS foil NOT wire. The word tinsel is used as an adjective in the above definition.

There is no reason that it can't be both foil and wire, one doesn't exclude the other, a wire in this instance is a metal conductor, foil is the shape of the metal e.g. 'A thin, flexible leaf or sheet of metal'

Doesn't it? Wire is drawn from a billet through decreasing sizes of die. Foil is rolled or beaten. What is commonly known as 'wire' (ie an electrical conductor) is usually a cable, unless it is single-stranded. A flexible cable for connecting items that may move relative to each other is a cord.

Back