What We Know So Far ...

well pleased.
Good.

But you have to understand that those of us who are critical of what we are being told about the 4000 are comparing it with HDR-FOX (having used one for about 5 years), and we are being told we are not allowed to criticise its faddy design.

no link through aerial lead in the box- othewise, well pleased.
Are you sure there is no link through aerial lead? That would be a unique selling feature.:D

Normally on modern equipment there is an option or options in the menu to switch this on form a default off state. On other Humax Freeview HD receivers and recorders it is enabled by switching off power saving in standby.

(BTW I take it the when you were saying "well pleased" you were being sarcastic and that you were only talking about one particular niggle.)

Yes, I can confirm that there is no RF cable supplied with this box, but I suspect that many people will have a few lying around from old VCR's or PVR's.

Well- after all the pro's , con's and slaggings, I finally took the plunge and bought one.
Set-up, including connecting to wi-fi was both quick and easy, took about 10 minutes.
After a quick check for a upgrade ( not required on the 1TB model ) and a channel scan, we were away.
Only one minor complaint - no link through aerial lead in the box- othewise, well pleased.

I did'nt tell SWMBO that apps are available for the ipad- should have seen her face when the tv started changing channels 'by itself ' - had to be seen to be believed!

Incidentally, graham, be very careful not to let your nexus overheat. Charging the one i had, after prolonged use, caused the batteries to swell and crack the screen.

Thanks for that. I changed the battery on the older version of the Nexus 7 that belongs to the better half. She's a scrabble fan :)

No, - no sarcasm intended whatsoever.- this is the first humax product that i have owned and i am genuinly pleased
With it.
The reason i wanted a aerial link cable is because the recorder that the 4000 t is replacing, has always been 'hit and miss ' in the recording department- sometimes missing a episode in a 'series record', sometimes recording ,say, eight seconds and then dropping out- i must be nieve- i thought it WAS made by hitachi.
But, on it are complete series of Inspector Morse, Lewis, Wallander and others that i still want to watch.

Tell me, if it was not for linking in the 'old' set top box, would i need a aerial link cable between the 4000-t and the tv, or would all the connectivity required be served by the hdmi cable and the aerial lead simply plugged into the humax?

That would appear to depend on whether or not you wish to use the TV's tuner. For that to work, it must have an aerial connection, however, if you are happy with the box being your primary tuning source, then no, you do not need an interconnection.

There have been requests made for HJM files earlier in this thread, and as there don't seem to have been any forthcoming, I have uploaded a couple.
Click is from a HD recording, The Paras is from a SD recording.

Attachments

• Click_20151107_1230.hjm
    5.3 KB · Views: 15
  • New_ The Paras_ Making The Cut_20151030_2059.hjm
    5.5 KB · Views: 11
There have been requests made for HJM files earlier in this thread, and as there don't seem to have been any forthcoming, I have uploaded a couple.
Click is from a HD recording, The Paras is from a SD recording.

Thanks Brian, a quick glance appears to confirm that they are encrypted (as suspected). A SD and HD file from the same programme would be handy as it should be simple to spot any differences.

Thanks Brian, a quick glance appears to confirm that they are encrypted (as suspected). A SD and HD file from the same programme would be handy as it should be simple to spot any differences.
OK, I have set recordings for a short programme on CBeebies & CBeebies HD, and will upload the HJM files shortly.

Here are the HJM files (SD version has (1) suffix), and for comparison, I have listed the programme file types and sizes below.

SD version
HJM 5,768
NTS 971,648
TS 659,501,056

HD version
HJM 5,756
NTS 2,783,360
TS 905,031,680

Attachments

• Mister Maker Around the World_20151112_1044(1).hjm
    5.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Mister Maker Around the World_20151112_1044.hjm
    5.6 KB · Views: 11
Here are the HJM files (SD version has (1) suffix), and for comparison, I have listed the programme file types and sizes below.

SD version
HJM 5,768
NTS 971,648
TS 659,501,056

HD version
HJM 5,756
NTS 2,783,360
TS 905,031,680

Thanks Brian opening both in Excel in binary form. If I spot anything significant I will post.

What makes you think they're encrypted? I haven't tried to decode it yet but it looks like a combination of base64 and URL encoding.
(I'm not saying that it isn't encrypted, just wondering what you've spotted)

Interesting

SD file has 5769 bytes. HD has 5757. In both cases last byte is zero (only zero in files so presumably end of file flag).

First 167 bytes match, Bytes 168 to 174 are a mixture of matched and different values. Guessing matched are recording date and unmatched recording times. Remainder are completely different apart from last zero. A second pair of recordings showing same pattern would tend to confirm this.

I can't upload Excel file but could could export as comma delimited text, if you can read this.

I can't upload Excel file but could could export as comma delimited text, if you can read this.
Graham, what is the file extension for your Excel file? I can add it to the list of file types accepted, just as I had to with the HJM files.

Graham, what is the file extension for your Excel file? I can add it to the list of file types accepted, just as I had to with the HJM files.

.xls. Note when opening you will get a warning about macros. The macro is used to read the files in binary format (one byte at a time). You will need Excel to open it of course.

Last edited:
.xls. Note when opening you will get a warning about macros. The macro is used to read the files in binary format (on byte at a time). You will need Excel to open it of course.
I have added xls to the list of file types accepted, so you will be able to upload it now.

Back