Assume v. Presume

As opposed to "try to...." ?
Exactly. How does one "try and" do something? To "try" implies the possibility of failure, but "and do" implies success.

It's a much easier mistake to make when speaking than when writing, and I am guilty of the same slip. The less educated then write down what they hear thinking it is correct, and the language takes another downturn.

Oh jeez. Are you both stupid. Of course me knows it was wrong, that's why me posted it like that.
To quote the Queen. "My husband and I......"

Oh jeez. Are you both stupid. Of course me knows it was wrong, that's why me posted it like that.
To quote the Queen. "My husband and I......"
Which can be correct or not depending on what came before or after.

@4281 The Queen cannot be wrong. It's her language.
@BH Now you're trying to confuse me. It's not difficult.

I guess Joan Armatrading wouldn't be popular here then :eek:

(TBH I don't know what the rule about me/I is. I just use whatever feels right in the context.)

(TBH I don't know what the rule about me/I is. I just use whatever feels right in the context.)
But that sometimes gives the incorrect use and is why people use them incorrectly. Do what af123 says, that always gives the correct usage.

Seen in the window of the shop and cafe at Longshaw Hall (National Trust):

Open everyday

An open everyday what?

There are some "frangible pins" holding the fences together on the Badminton Horse Trials cross country course. I have not heard of "frangible" before (despite being an engineer, and it not being queried by the iOS spell check). My immediate reaction was surely there is a more common word to describe the same thing.

Back