Assume v. Presume

As heard on a news bulletin on Smooth (radio station), from the mouth of somebody advising British visitors to Thailand regarding the current curfew:

"...should stay in their hotels from 10pm in the evening to 5am in the morning"

<deep sigh>
So what's wrong with that? 10pm is evening and 5 am is morning. It might be stating the obvious but it's no big deal. 《yawn》

AVP is about being picky, if you're not interested in being picky AVP isn't the place for you. It's not just obvious, it's a repetition (like "PIN number").

This is (for those who don't know) an example of tautology. It indicates the speaker isn't in control of what they're saying, or hasn't prepared what they are going to say. It may be excusable in speech, but it don't make it right! Americans typically suffer from this, putting in a load of extra words in an attempt to sound more impressive - eg "the 1960's time frame".

I remember a 'Come (and) visit California' tourism video that said something like "People have a lot of misconceptions about California but none of them are really true."

This is (for those who don't know) an example of tautology. It indicates the speaker isn't in control of what they're saying, or hasn't prepared what they are going to say.

Unusually self-aware, self-referential statement there, BH! I admire your honesty!:p

If I were editing that piece I would substitute 'allocation', but 'allotment' works (just).

Of course, the purists who use alot a lot would point out the spelling mistake...I guess allotments are quite large?:rolleyes:

I am not sure whether allotment means a share (of something) more than an allocation does.

Allotments are somewhere you grow veggies. And I don't mean vegetarians either.
Why does veggies have a couple of 'g' s in it when neither vegetables or vegetarians do?

Back