Assume v. Presume

Can someone define good? And where did Delai Smith say "Good Olive Oil"? That is what I want to know. Without that context, we can't argue about what is good or bad. In the context of salad dressing, extra virgin olive oil is good, but if you are frying at high temperatures and don't want to replace your pan regularly, no olive oil is good.

Edit:

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/ingredients-a-z/ingredients-m-o/Mozzarella.html

I think she assumes everyone knows what that means, ie, extra virgin.

Read 1661 - it's Nigella. If you've seen her (or whatever-that-programme's-called-where-they-eavesdrop-on-house-auctions, for that matter), you will have no idea what I'm talking about or why.

"The likes of Nigella"

eg, Delia.

Anyway, I have given you criteria for selecting a good Olive Oyl, what more do you want?

Oh yes, a picture:

9b3e65d6e275dd666fc713f1db1ed2ac.jpg

And another URL?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/olive_oil

This was meant to be about "good" rather than olive oil, but if we accept that (in the specific case of olive oil) "good" = "extra virgin" (and I have yet to see any confirmation of that), I suspect that Nigella never shops in Asda.

TV chefs do it all the time: "use a good xxxx" - without any guidance on what constitutes a good xxxx. If the viewer knew what a good xxxx is, they wouldn't need to be told to use a good one. The relevance is that if the best quality possible costs ten times more than a lower quality that is nonetheless adequate, one needs to know where the threshold is if one is on a budget. If the chef means "the best you can afford", even that has difficulties: what if the best you can afford is actually crap and will ruin the dish, but because you have never bought the expensive stuff you don't know that?

It's like that with me and champagne: do I not like it because I don't like champagne, or do I not like the champagne I am prepared to pay for? Do the people who say they like champagne actually not like it, but say they do because you don't spend £20 a glass on champers (or accept a £20 glass from someone else) and then say you don't like it?

Another case is when the chef says "xxxx is best, but if you can't get xxxx, yyyy will do just as well" - no it won't! If xxxx is best, then yyyy cannot possibly do just as well. It might do nearly as well, but not just as well.

I tried to bring up a new subject a few posts ago, but nobody noticed.

Why is it a bad thing when someone puts a spoke in someone's wheel when it is a good thing for a wheel to have spokes in it?

Why is it a bad thing when someone puts a spoke in someone's wheel when it is a good thing for a wheel to have spokes in it?
In that phrase I believe that to "put in" is actually meaning to "put through", effectively jamming the wheel, in the same manner as BH's example of a spanner jamming the works.

In The Times today:

National Grid plans to bury power lines at beauty spots

Couldn't they be bothered to find somewhere else, or recycle them?

Bit of a Catch 22: If industry were to bury all of its works then many places would return to being the beauty spots they once were.

But if everywhere was beautiful then all would be neutral. You need some 'ugly' to appreciate the better looking.
Notwithstanding that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course :)

Why do American sports always list the away team first contrary to every other country in the world?

And why do Australia say wickets for runs rather than runs for wickets?

Why do people talk about not being able to get a mortgage rather than a home loan?

Anybody can stick a mortgage on their entry in the property register!

Back