Assume v. Presume

I'm not sure I blame McD (:sick: or their advertising agency). The problem is the British public so willing to adopt US expressions. :( I do blame McD for propagating it though.

Ye Gods! I had no idea smilies could be written backwards. Thus:

(: = :)

Obviously wrong in that instance, but "commence with" isn't universally inappropriate, whereas "mitigate against" always is. Your example is what I describe as overly grandiose - "begin" would have been sufficient, but people like to sound important by using more syllables than is necessary.

I don't altogether agree with you. You mitigate against a flat tyre on your car by carrying a spare tyre, but that is not a mitigation if you run out of fuel.

You can mitigate against specific things happening, and not mitigate against other things happening.

Agree about 'commence with' ...

I don't altogether agree with you. You mitigate against a flat tyre on your car by carrying a spare tyre, but that is not a mitigation if you run out of fuel.
No no - that's not what mitigate means. One mitigates the undesirable consequences of a flat tyre by carrying a spare wheel. The mistake you are making is why "mitigate against" has become common.

Last edited:
This is the same argument as "revert back". Some (ignorant) people claim (wrongly) that you can revert forward.

Somebody actually used mitigate correctly on the radio today!

What's the opposite: Aggravate? Militate?

Back in the day when I had to work for a living, I used to prepare what I thought of as Compliance Statements, as the engineering response to customer's Requirement Specifications. Our marketing department called them Compliancy Statements. I never did determine who was right!

I would have thought that compliance was a black and white thing. Either it does or it doesn't comply, whilst compliancy indicates a degree of compliance, i.e. which bits comply and which bits don't.
As you were writing something that said whether it complies or not, I would have used 'compliance', but if you were indicating that some aspects complied and some didn't, then it would be a compliancy statement. Perhaps that's why others called it 'compliancy' to cover all bases.
But what do I know?

Back