Basic uses of custom firmware

Yes ir works, although some people find it doesn't work after it's been installed for reasons we haven't got to the bottom of. I don't know why it would fail to install though.

The play option opens a VLC window in your browser, but you need the VLC add-on installed in the browser itself.

On a separate note, when the Web IF says play (in media details) and I click it (even with VLC open on the desktop) I seem to get nothing. Now this isn't vital (unless it would allow me to stream HD), but it does strike me as odd. Could it be I'm missing another package that would make that work?
You need to make sure that you have the VLC browser plugin for whatever browser you're using. That's usually installed automatically on Windows with the later versions of VLC.

Also curious if the web if remote control package works - it won't install for me. Shame - would be a neat gizmo.

Yes, it works. What happens when you try and install it?

Edit: Foiled by BH's reply being on the next page!

Firmware Play function - VLC browser plugin - check, I'll see if I can sort that out - thanks for the direction, both.

IR package - Here's what happens when I try to install IR - it seems my humax software is ahead of itself!

"Installing ir (1.02) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/ir_1.02_mipsel.opk.
Humax software version: 1.02.32
This package requires CFW 2.11 or above with Humax firmware 1.02.20, .27, .28 or .29.
Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "ir" preinst script returned status 1.
* preinst_configure: Aborting installation of ir.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ir."

That would explain that!

I have - the latest version in the repository is 1.02-1. Make sure you've done a package list update and try again.

Righto - have installed the IR - doesn't seem to do much, but it's definitely installed.

Got the VLC media plug-in working by switching to Firefox over Internet explorer. Thanks - and it solves my playing HD streams problem too. SO, once unprotected, then decrypted in place, playing the HD programme is possible through the play function of the media information page of the web-if (that amount of jargon would have addled my brain about a week ago - grief, I must be learning something).

Anyone know if there is an android media player that will definitely work with decrypted HD recordings? I wonder if VLC for android is any good?

Also curious if the box will stream live telly (or telly that's a minute or six behind)?

Getting there - thank you all again.

Hmm, thanks Ezra.

I'm flummoxed. Neither Skifta nor Media House can find the HD files for streaming despite their sitting in a folder it can find, dec'd and such. Any hints?

Even when I enter the network stream identity into MX player and VLC for android (beta) - it says can't play it, or just doesn't.

SD all fine, though.

hey ho!

BH

Re the IR - yup, I've got the remote and the picture of the remote.
I click on a key and the red blob and transmit icons come up, but nothing actually changes or seems to happen....

Shame about the live stream. I guess then that starting to record then watching the emerging recording back a few minutes later doesn't really work, then? Darn that delmonte man..

MediaHouse definitely sees and streams High-def content, are you saying that the files are not listed ?
Here is the state of the Hi-Def file I streamed to MediaHouse, you will need the icon to the right of DEC
3d.jpg

Hmm - I have the same info - a .ts (smaller GB) then HD DEC DLNA and OPT+ etc, but when I browse to the container, it says "END -- Found no more media for display" but then it never found any above that either!

But then MX player says it can;t play them either, when I enter the http/IPaddress etc url directly.

Odd, isn't it?

EZRA - Hrmph - me too - 1.4.7 (22), Android Ice cream sandwich. Does shouting at it help?

BH - ah well, looks like I'll have to walk the three yards. There is an outside chance I met get some unintended exercise, but the necessity to interact with my environment seems inevitable here. Shame! Thanks for all the help.

I am only running the free version 1.4.7 on Andriod 4.0.4, It maybe worth checking that the DLNA server is still running

There are some shortcomings in the Free MediaHouse, I have read that it only plays 2 files before you have to exit and restart the App. however I have found that I have to do more than that e.g. I have to reboot the Andriod Tablet after a failed play attempt

Re the IR - yup, I've got the remote and the picture of the remote.
I click on a key and the red blob and transmit icons come up, but nothing actually changes or seems to happen....

Have you rebooted since installing ir? Do you know what control mode your original remote is using? If it isn't mode 1 then you'll need to update the ir settings to match and the reboot. If all else fails we can enable a debug log and find out what is happening.

Hmm - now this is getting daft - it's finding one HD recording (even before decryption in place) but stuttering to play it back through any media player, and sulking about some others and refusing to look at them at all!

AHA! AF - Oddly, rebooting it twice (why not once, I wonder?) seems to have done the IR trick and coo - that's neat and should prevent any of the more unfortunate side effects of having to leave my seat. What a clever thing, thanks for your patience and apologies for missing the simple tricks.

Ta!

J

Back