Can a NO POWER T2100 Youview Box be repaired?

kierend

I have been given a BT Youview T2100, that is not working

No Lights
No Power
No action when connected to power source, apart from a high pitched electrical hum.

I have repaired a lot of other Hummy boxes but this one has got me stumped

Tried a new power supply, heating the main processor with my heat gun, tested for voltage on the incoming switch on the rear of the device, and disconnected the HDD to see if that had a short, none of these things have worked

has anyone had a successful repair for these boxes (or the T2110 / T4000) as they all seem very similar

Any tried and tested methods would be great to hear as I think they are good boxes and hate binning things if there is a way to get it going

Thanks

I have been given a BT Youview T2100, that is not working

No Lights
No Power
No action when connected to power source, apart from a high pitched electrical hum.

I have repaired a lot of other Hummy boxes but this one has got me stumped

Tried a new power supply, heating the main processor with my heat gun, tested for voltage on the incoming switch on the rear of the device, and disconnected the HDD to see if that had a short, none of these things have worked

has anyone had a successful repair for these boxes (or the T2110 / T4000) as they all seem very similar

Any tried and tested methods would be great to hear as I think they are good boxes and hate binning things if there is a way to get it going

Thanks

This sounds like a capacitor on the electronics board has gone short circuit. It could be either a ceramiic or electrolytic that is the problem.

I once had a board that I was building up from a kit, and before fitting the expensive chips which were in sockets i had the presence to apply power to the board - which revealed a short circuit somewhere, but where? Using the highest resolution digital meter I had to hand I measured the voltage across every capacitor looking for the lowest voltage. On finding this I cut the capacitor leads (it was a through hole) and the short circuit went away.

I suggest you try a similar approach. I suspect you will need at least a 3 1/2 digit meter (so it will measure down to a millivolt), better if you have a 4 1/2 digit (which is what I had IIRC). In your case it could be one of the ICs failed, or one of the voltage regulators or ... but I would go for the capacitors first. Ceramic capacitors are well known for doing strange things if moisture gets into the ceramic - including the possibility of becoming a battery.

best of luck with your fault finding.

Back