Cannot install any packages

Michael16480

Hi. I want to update and add some new packages but get the following message - and cannot install any packages.
Note - Forum won't allow me to post external links so have replaced / with *
Help appreciated.
"
wget: bad address 'hpkg.tv'
Downloading http:**hpkg.tv*foxsat*base*Packages.gz.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http:**hpkg.tv*foxsat*base*Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
Updating package meta information."

Hi, interesting question.
Well it has an ip address assigned and I can access the via the web interface.
Checked firewall as under - how else can I check ?

Public Profile Settings:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
State ON
Firewall Policy BlockInbound,AllowOutbound
LocalFirewallRules N/A (GPO-store only)
LocalConSecRules N/A (GPO-store only)
InboundUserNotification Enable
RemoteManagement Disable
UnicastResponseToMulticast Enable

Logging:
LogAllowedConnections Disable
LogDroppedConnections Disable
FileName %systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log
MaxFileSize 4096

Check the gateway and/or DNS settings on the box. Provide a screenshot if you can't work out what the problem is. This is nothing to do with your PC.
You should have started a new thread rather than pollute this one though.

Last edited:
Mmmm - just tried to download a package from my pc using the http link - I get a 404 message but it does download the .opk file.
And the packages.gz file downloads too.
So it does indeed look like my Foxsat is OK on my network but cannot reach the internet. No idea why or how to fix !!

So if I can download the .opk file for the items I want / want to update - can I copy to usb stick and load from the usb port?
I'm OK with Windows but never touched Linux so would need newby instructions if need to load from my pc.

Really appreciate your help.
Michael.

Thread has been split already.
Is 192.168.8.1 your gateway/router? Was all this set by DHCP or statically?

Yep caught the split'
yes 192.168.8.1 is my router, set by DHCP.
Also just ran ip scan which finds at .112 just fine.
Bizarre but seems something somehere preventing internet connection.

So rather than waste everyone's time;
If I can download the .opk file for the items I want / want to update - can I copy the .opk files to usb stick and will they load automatically load from the usb port?
I'm OK with Windows but never touched Linux so would need newby instructions if need to load from my pc.

Try setting the same details manually/statically instead of using DHCP, but substitute e.g. 8.8.8.8 in the DNS Address field (other DNS servers are available!).
can I copy the .opk files to usb stick and will they load automatically load from the usb port?
I believe so. But that won't get the Default Authority file updated, unless you also install that package.

Bizarre but seems something somehere preventing internet connection.
What is the make/model/supplier of your router? 192.168.8.1 isn't impossible for your network, but home networks are usually 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. Or have you decided that for yourself, to use a different subnet for some reason?

Open a command window on your PC (connected through the same router to the Internet) and run "ipconfig".

Changed DNS etc but no change - no access still.
Odd - but maybe not related? - Twonky server is installed but when I try to access it goes to 192.168.1.28:9000/config which was my old router.
And Twonky sometimes disappears as an option!

Hi Black Hole - it's a Huawei 4G sim card router (no tel line at new house).
Everything else works 100% so not logically the problem.

Odd - but maybe not related? - Twonky server is installed but when I try to access it goes to 192.168.1.28:9000/config which was my old router.
I expect it might be related. But how, I do not know. There's obviously some residual config. of something somewhere.
Can you get on to the Foxsat with telnet ?

Black Hole - PC is on the same network - same router.
prpr - yes can telnet 192.168.8.112 and get the Foxsat box name plus ~#
Not sure how to get "on" Foxsat box

Have done factory reset of router and checked settings - nothing unusual.
That's it for tonight and away till Wednesday nite.
Any suggestions ? Otherwise I'll try usb loading of packages Wednesday.
Thanks for your help so far.
Michael.

Just an update.
Looks like the 4g router is the problem! No idea why it won't allow connection to the internet.

But finally getting a landline in 2 weeks - so replacing with a standard router.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Will let you know.

Thanks, Michael.

Back