Cannot install any packages

Looks like the 4g router is the problem! No idea why it won't allow connection to the internet.
I think it might not be, otherwise nothing would work via it. I assume that is not the case and that you are posting this via it.
yes can telnet 192.168.8.112 and get the Foxsat box name plus ~#
Can you try these commands in turn, and post the output:
Code:
route
nslookup 8.8.8.8
traceroute -n 8.8.8.8
Only need the first 3 numbered lines of the last command.

Presuming you mean via cmd, route and traceroute were "not recognised"
Here is the nslookup info.
Am away until tomorrow so won't be replying to anything after this until tomorrow.
Cheers.

C:\Users\comle>nslookup 8.8.8.8
Server: homerouter.cpe
Address: 192.168.8.1

Name: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

C:\Users\comle>traceroute -n 8.8.8.8
'traceroute' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I meant on the Foxsat, having telnet-ed in to it, as per the immediately preceding quote, seeing as that is the device that's problematic.

Hi, OK here are the readings.

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 192.168.8.1 1.371 ms 0.745 ms 2.672 ms
2 * * *
3 192.168.7.14 33.080 ms 37.601 ms 46.998 ms
4 192.168.255.1 36.765 ms 58.616 ms 40.806 ms

Also as info still won't update package list.
Response is as per attached jpg

Attachments

• Humax Foxsat HDR (Foxsat-Snug)_001.jpg
    Humax Foxsat HDR (Foxsat-Snug)_001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 11
Yep caught the split'
yes 192.168.8.1 is my router, set by DHCP.
Also just ran ip scan which finds at .112 just fine.
Bizarre but seems something somehere preventing internet connection.
When you run your IP scan, does it find all network devices?

Does your pc use similar settings as the Foxsat (but with different IP)?

Last edited:
Being as this is a 4G router, I reckon there is some kind of restriction built in as to the number of devices or what type of devices are allowed to access the WAN. Check the terms of service.

bottletop - pc and all other devices on my network (NAS, several RPi clients, laptops etc) all run through the 4g router - same setup / settings.
And yes ip scanner finds all devices.

Black Hole - perhaps - as I'm getting a landline in 10 days I'm just going to wait until then and see.
Then 4g router goes back to use only when we travel (have a cheap sim deal).

Thanks for all your help.
Will let you know how it goes post landline router.

OK - so it's a fault with the Foxsat box !!
A friend came round with another box and we had no problem connecting / downloading / installing etc. - although in a different location (and cannot easily swap in/out).
So when the landline gets installed (which will require some move around of equipment ) I'll see what happens - but I'm expecting no change !
And if it's the box then I'll just have to figure out how to load the opk files with a usb stick.
Cheers.

bottletop - pc and all other devices on my network (NAS, several RPi clients, laptops etc) all run through the 4g router - same setup / settings.
And yes ip scanner finds all devices...
That's good. So the router works fine for everything else.
The only things I can think of, in no particular order
Try swapping the IP of the PC with the Foxsat to see what happens (if either, neither or both lose internet access).
Change the ethernet cable for the Foxsat.
If all else fails, switch them both off (for 2-5 minutes) and on again.

Last edited:
@Michael16480 The instructions for installing the opk files by USB are in the documentation section of the WebIf. The only thing you can’t download is the DefaultAuthority file which is downloaded and installed automatically as part of the check for package updates routine.

I think I have the same problem and I think the problem lies with the sebserver and permissions
as I can get to the path hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/ and it displays the packages but it will not let me into the next level
i.e hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base .
I'm getting an error from the portal - error 403 .
What is the 403 Forbidden Error? The 403 Forbidden error indicates that the server understands the request but can't provide additional access. This means that the web page you're trying to open in your browser is a resource that you're not allowed to access.

Perhaps the web server manager can resolve this issue on the web service setup ?

Many Thanks

Victor

@Victor558 you have not done what was asked of you in the other thread.

I can get to the path hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/
The image posted in post #17 of the below thread would suggest that you CAN'T get to hummypkg.org.uk.

So what do you mean by "I can get to the path hummypkg.org.uk"? The fact that you see installed packages displayed in the package management page of the Web Interface does not prove that you have internet connectivity/name resolution working correctly.

I'm getting an error from the portal - error 403 .
What do you mean? Please describe in more detail exactly what you are doing/seeing. Your previous post/image (as referenced above) makes no mention of this 403 error.

H,
I'm saying that in my browser on my laptop on the same network as the foxsat , i can go to the package list at hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat
but if you add the next bit of the path hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base it gives an access error so I'm wondering if this is the reason why the foxsat is
failing to get access to the packages.gz file too !
There are solutions for the wget command on the net where they mention additional parameters on the command line i.e referer .

Hope this helps .
Victor

I'm saying that in my browser on my laptop on the same network as the foxsat
That's not the problem we're trying to resolve though is it? We're trying to work out why your Foxsat can't access the relevant site. It's immaterial whether other devices on the network can or can't.

Please read this thread from the beginning and I think you'll find your issue is the same (or, at the very least, frighteningly similar).

Please also connect a Telnet session to your Foxsat and run the following three commands and post the output:

Code:
nslookup 8.8.8.8
traceroute 8.8.8.8
cat /etc/resolv.conf

As previously requested, also please post a picture of the network settings on your Foxsat as per post #8 in this thread.

Hi,
Your perseverance is great - thankyou .
I checked my DNS setting on the Foxsat because I had recently changed to a new ISP and I found the old DNS setting was a specific DNS address to my old ISP.
once changed to the default gateway I found the packages were downloaded and now I can update packages from the web.

Looks like I am now back to where I was and all is working on the 4.0.8 install , not sure if there is any need for me to install the 4.1.3 firmware unless there are some dependencies
I am currently unaware of .for any of the packages

Thank you

Victor

OK I've solved the problem - I've sold the box to someone who only wants to use it for watching & recording TV - which it did fine.
Was definitely a problem with something within the box as have replaced it with another one which works 100% perfectly.
Thanks for everyones help.

Back