Can't install any packages

HuMac

My setup:
Web interface version: 1.0.10-1
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version: 1.03.12

I haven't upgraded the CF on my machine for a loooong time. I've just kept using it, and it's worked! The machine is connected to my broadband via ethernet.

Today I had a need to Decrypt an HD file, but when I clicked on "OPT", I found that the Decrypt option was greyed out. I discovered that in all these years I'd never actually installed the auto-unprotect package. D'oh!

So I went to Package Management in the webif and tried to install it. When I hit the Install button, a dialogue panel flashed onto my browser screen for less than a second before disappearing. It soon became clear that the installation process had failed - or never even had a chance to start. I then established that no matter what package I chose, none of them would install.

I also found that if I tried "Update package list", it reported that no updates were available. Same result when I tried "Upgrade all packages".

Clearly something is wrong. The most frustrating thing is that I can't read any potential error messages because the dialogue panels don't stay onscreen long enough for me to read anything.

The machine has suffered a few crashes/restarts in its life (usually when trying to access the BBC iPlayer - it can occasionally be a bit flaky). Could this have corrupted the custom firmware maybe?

The machine has suffered a few crashes/restarts in its life (usually when trying to access the BBC iPlayer - it can occasionally be a bit flaky). Could this have corrupted the custom firmware maybe?
Probably not, more likely it's a HDD problem. There's nothing unusual about crashes, particularly when the TV Portal is involved.

Start by assuming there's something wrong with the HDD, such as going read-only (which could explain a lot of your symptoms). You really need to be on the latest CF for proper disk repair, so go ahead and flash 3.13 now.

Check this out: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click), and take a slap on the wrist for letting it get so out of date.

Thanks for the input, Black Hole. I doubt it's a read-only issue as the machine still records stuff to the HDD perfectly well. I will certainly update to CF 3.13 though, and see where that gets me.
Cheers, Ken

Success!
CF 3.13 installed, and new webif. Auto unprotect installed. HD file decrypting at this moment. Thanks all. :)

Now investigate the rest of the package catalogue! A lot has changed in the last six years!

For example qtube/you-tubedl provides a way of downloading BBC and youtube content that is a lot more reliable than using the Portal

Back