Copy files to Aura

I am right in assuming that you can't copy video files from a USB Drive to the Aura to play as you could with The HDR- Fox?
I have read posts on here stating that it can't be done and that I have to use VLC to play directly from the USB.
The posts were from 2022 and 2023, I was wondering if anyone has found a way.

I am right in assuming that you can't copy video files from a USB Drive to the Aura to play as you could with The HDR- Fox?
I have read posts on here stating that it can't be done and that I have to use VLC to play directly from the USB.
The posts were from 2022 and 2023, I was wondering if anyone has found a way.
Good question; I am not aware of a way of doing it but perhaps someone else has found a way?

If Humax have not provided/permitted a file manager app for their "play store" in the mean time, then it seems unlikely. And if they have, then the capabilities it offers are what you're stuck with.

I've not found a way.

You can transfer the contents of the USB drive to a PC and then use FTP (using a LAN connection, I can't get WiFi to allow the FTP connection) to copy to the Aura disk. I think the only folders you can write to on the "Internal HDD" that are useful are Movies, Music and Pictures. It's a real pain! I'm not convinced that VLC plays well with some videos, but I haven't found anything better.

If Humax have not provided/permitted a file manager app
I use Cx file explorer. BUT it won't let you write to the internal disk. You can write to "Main storage" but that's only 11GB, half of which is in use. You can read the contents of the internal disk and FTP files (StdDef not encrypted) to a suitable server on your PC. Why? Because you can get files called content.jh (I think) which has the programme's EPG entry in it. If you use your PC to download a recording, just a .ts file appears (not compatible with previous Humax versions). The content.jh and various index and thumbnail files are embedded in the file - in such a way that a player ignores them.

Thanks guys, I think i'll just have to stick with using VLC and hope there is no buffering.
I'm using the USB3 port and a good USB pen.

Thanks guys, I think i'll just have to stick with using VLC and hope there is no buffering.
I'm using the USB3 port and a good USB pen.
Have you had trouble with buffering? Even modest USB data rates are well within video rate (compressed data), unless you're using UHD or something.

So why were you worrying about it then??? :confused:
Don't be confused, I wasn't worried. Although I had right to be as the video plays ok but sound is way out when using VLC on Aura. Although it plays ok on my PC.
Found setting for Audio speed but it slows or speeds up video not the audio. Now that's confusing. I'm waiting on an answer from Videolan.
I did convert the files from mkv to mp4 first as I did with the HDR-Fox, i'll try to see if it will play mkv files as vlc does on my PC.

I wasn't worried
So why mention it then? Jeez, I wish people would think about what they post.
i'll just have to stick with using VLC and hope there is no buffering

Although I had right to be as the video plays ok but sound is way out when using VLC on Aura.
That's not a question of buffering, that's audio sync. My TV loses audio sync with my HD-FOX if I switch between eg radio and STDef TV; cycling the TV source (so that the HDMI renegotiates) pulls it back. You might find something similar. Nobody else has posted problems with the VLC app.

Last edited:
I did think about what I posted and I meant it. If you don't like it ignore it.
I know it's audio sync and I'll try the switching back and forth the source and see if it helps thanks.

I did think about what I posted and I meant it. If you don't like it ignore it.
If you don't like my advice then ignore it.

Saying you "hope there is no buffering" implies you think there might be, and I was pointing out there shouldn't be when the source is USB. Buffering is something one associates with content delivered over a network. To then say you were not worried is a contradiction.

Misrepresenting your situation means I waste time and effort trying to understand and advise. Don't.

Although I had right to be as the video plays ok but sound is way out when using VLC on Aura. Although it plays ok on my PC.
I've had similar problems with the Aura. One of the reasons I'm looking for something (free!) that plays better. No luck so far. I thought I had the same problem with VLC on my phone (and tablet), but that could be the Bluetooth headphones. Wired ones no problem.

Back