Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

I got 'the letter' today inviting me to go to the website and book my jab (or wait for gp to contact me).
So I went to the website, entered all my info, and it said "You aren't eligible, sod off".
OK, it didn't use the last two words, but why the heck are they wasting money sending out letters that are useless?

Not good news here! I was fine until about 8am yesterday, when I found myself on my back on the bathroom floor, with no balance and hardly enough strength to crawl.

I was feeling better by 3pm, but very tired, so have spent almost 30hr in bed.

Feeling OK now, but am looking for that side effect without success. Scary!

Keep trying, did you use your nhs number?
Yes, filled all the fields in.
I may try again, but the current advice which the website repeated, is that it's only 70+ at present. I'm 69, so was a bit surprised to get the letter, especially as the group after 70+ is over 50s with poor health. On current plans I'm due about April I think.

I may get one sooner due to my voluntary work, but that'll mean driving a distance. Getting one at the local centre would be more convenient.

Not good news here! I was fine until about 8am yesterday, when I found myself on my back on the bathroom floor, with no balance and hardly enough strength to crawl.

It sounds like you were a bit lucky - bathrooms are not the best places to fall with various hard things to bounce off on the way down.

I take it you don't have any other conditions that could have caused this, possibly triggered by the jab.
(E.g. I have Meniere's which could account for the fall and balance. I'll have to watch out when I have mine.)

Thanks for letting us know.
One of my friend's elderly relative had a turn in that she was physically sick after her jab (half a day to a day later). They suspect it was the jab that caused it because it was the last thing she had, but it's difficult to pin down because she has other issues and is over 90. But she's not frail and never reacted badly to the flu jabs or other medication she has taken over the years.
You mention Mrs Scrat had the jab at the same time. Did she suffer any ill effects after the jab? (Please feel free to ignore this question if you feel it's too personal.)

I found myself on my back on the bathroom floor, with no balance and hardly enough strength to crawl.
:eek:

That's one heck of a side effect. Coincidences can't be ruled out (and at least one of the problematic cases in the trials turned out to have been in the control group on saline).

I think I got lucky - I am 69 and had a call last Tuesday for an appointment Thursday afternoon. Had the AstraZeneca and was in and out in 10 minutes (no 15 minutes waiting after the jab).
Felt fine initially but a bit rough and very cold as the evening progressed. Next morning had a slight headache and aching knees so took a couple of parrots-eat-em-all. After an hours nap in the afternoon
felt back to my normal (!) self.
Must say I felt a great relief that I have had my initial dose - role on May for the second...

I agree, it is a relief.

I also had slight vomiting and nausea the following day. Also a loose bowel. Mrs Scrat had, and still has, flu symptoms: shivering, headache, muscle aches.

I take it you don't have any other conditions that could have caused this, possibly triggered by the jab.
(E.g. I have Meniere's which could account for the fall and balance. I'll have to watch out when I have mine.)
I blame dexamethasone. No doubt it was not investigated in the trials, and the trials also excluded people with cancer, so did they exclude everyone with a serious condition?

Anyway, I am fine now, but better be prepared.

The 15 minute wait is for anyone who is driving. Post vaccine syncope is common with all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 69, so was a bit surprised to get the letter, especially as the group after 70+ is over 50s with poor health. On current plans I'm due about April I think.
The 70-74 includes the clinically extremely vulnerable. Your age group is immediately after that group.
Code:
Priority     Risk group
1     Residents in a care home for older adults and staff working in care homes for older adults
2     All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3     All those 75 years of age and over
4     All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and those under 16 years of age)
5     All those 65 years of age and over
6     Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (see clinical conditions below) [footnote 1]
7     All those 60 years of age and over
8     All those 55 years of age and over
9     All those 50 years of age and over
10     Rest of the population (to be determined)
I'm in regular contact with 3 people in your age group, each in two different parts of England, and all 3 had their first jab last week, the first of those being contacted on 4th February. They were texted with a link to book via AccuBook rather than a letter and the NHS booking site URL.

With not everyone taking up the offer, and the numbers vaccinated so far, it shouldn't be long now for you.

The 70-74 includes the clinically extremely vulnerable. Your age group is immediately after that group.
Hm. I've been looking at the BBC version which now corresponds with that. But I'm pretty sure it's changed recently as I'm sure there was only one vulnerable/at-risk group before.
But I'm not that bothered as I'm low risk of both contagion and dire effects (probably). I don't really want to take a jab away from someone at greater risk.

Hm. I've been looking at the BBC version which now corresponds with that. But I'm pretty sure it's changed recently as I'm sure there was only one vulnerable/at-risk group before.
But I'm not that bothered as I'm low risk of both contagion and dire effects (probably). I don't really want to take a jab away from someone at greater risk.
Get the jab. Herd of herd immunity? You may protect 'someone of greater risk'.... by getting the jab for yourself and being immunised!

I'd given up looking at the priority groups list on media sites as too many media sites have not been reflecting the more official sites and their list.

Back