Crashing on start-up

But if the device is switched on and has its locally set manual IP address has been allocated by the router, are you telling me that the router will then allocate the same IP address to a different device through DHCP. I can understand that it might dish out the IP address in question if the device was not switched connected, but that's not what I understood prpr to say in post #14 and that which he agreed my interpretation in post #19.
prpr said:
The unit doesn't have to be turned off. DHCP will happily issue an address from its pool regardless of whether something configured statically within its pool is actually using it or not.

Well, these posts since my last post have me slightly bamboozled :unsure: (being not sufficiently educated in these matters :whistling: )
Could you clarify the odd points :

Can I set the IP address for my HDR-Fox T2 within the unit itself, presumably using the WebIf? Such that it becomes a permanent static address, or do I do this in the Netgear router?

The above points probably explain why I sometimes get an IP conflict message when I arouse my laptop from hibernation.

If I can set the IP for the Fox, could I also set a static address for the NAS?

You can set static IP addresses for almost any device. Just DON'T set them to something that is in the pool that the router's DHCP server hands out. It's as simple as that.

But if the device is switched on and has its locally set manual IP address has been allocated by the router, are you telling me that the router will then allocate the same IP address to a different device through DHCP.
If the case you are describing is that a device has firstly been allocated an IP address via DHCP and then the device has had that address set manually and no reservation has been made at the router, then yes the router may reallocate that IP address regardless of whether or not the device is switched on.

I think you did not take in the first line of my post. It's not simple to me.
I go into my router and alter the pool size (I think??) setting it to max value say, .100, then set the NAS IP to .101 and it tells me this is an illegal value. But I can use .101 if the pool upper limit is set back to .254

So it would help me a lot if could you answer the questions posed in my post #22 please?

Last edited:
I think you did not take in the first line of my post.
Not sure who you are talking to as you haven't quoted?
I go into my router and alter the pool size (I think??) setting it to max value say, .100, then set the NAS IP to .101 and it tells me this is an illegal value.
Either leave the pool IP at 100 and set the NAS IP address on the NAS to 101 or set the pool upper limit to 254 and reserve the NAS address on the router.

The trouble is, it's all very vague. You bandy about terms like "NAS" and "Netgear router" and expect people to know the detail, which nobody can.
All we can do is explain general principles and you have to work out the detail, as you are the only one sat in front of the interface of your particular piece of kit.
The exception to this is the HDR Fox-T2 which we all have in common. Set the IP address for that using the on-screen menus.
Similarly set the IP address for your NAS on the device itself by whatever means.
Set the pool for DHCP on the router. Do NOT try and set the NAS IP address (nor that for any other device) on the router if you are making it static on the device in question.

Not sure who you are talking to as you haven't quoted?

I had not got the hang of using the + Quote and Reply links in each post. I was clicking on the + Quote link and thought the quote would appear when I clicked IN the Reply box to type :unsure: Now I have got it :thumbsup:

Either leave the pool IP at 100 and set the NAS IP address on the NAS to 101 or set the pool upper limit to 254 and reserve the NAS address on the router.

Thank you Martin. I think the latter is what I have done. Seems to work but I'm trying to get my brain round this.

The trouble is, it's all very vague. You bandy about terms like "NAS" and "Netgear router" and expect people to know the detail, which nobody can.

Sorry, I did detail the models of router and NAS in earlier posts. Did not consider it necessary to repeat this. My fault.

So my problem is finding out how to set static IP addresses on these items, that is my NAS (and I don't really expect anyone here necessarily to have the knowledge) and my HDR-Fox T2. Try as I might, I don't find the method by trawling through the web interface.
I found this on here:
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/i-p-address.3131/#post-37222

but it just confusticates me further......... :( goes over my head somewhat. It hurts and I'm going to bed now ;)

So my problem is finding out how to set static IP addresses on these items, that is my NAS (and I don't really expect anyone here necessarily to have the knowledge) and my HDR-Fox T2.
First set the DHCP range on the router so that the upper value is less than 254. Then using the Humax remote Menu then Settings>System>Internet Setting>Configure LAN. Assuming the Humax is currently getting an IP address via DHCP change Configue IP from DHCP to manual then change the last part of the IP address from .14 (or whatever it is currently set to) to a number outside the DHCP range. So if the DHCP upper limit is 100 then set the Humax to .101 or higher; Apply and job done. I don't have a WD Cloud but on my earlier WD myBook Live: connect to the Web Interface then Settings>Network>LAN Configuration. Change Network Mode from DHCP to Manual. Change the last part of the IP address to something above the DHCP upper limit and different to the Humax eg .102and job done.

Thank you Martin and BH.

Very helpful and much appreciated. I did not get to find your post yesterday, BH, but that link is a very clear and straight forward explanation. Thanks vey much.

Jerry

Yes DHCP will happily assign an address that is already in use as it only knows about the addresses it has dished out not any assigned manually or by another DHCP server.

The device getting the address second won't work until the first device is disconnected from the network.

Sorry not very technical but what I've seen happen.

Sent from here using a computing device.

Back