Custom firmware uptake

It's still quite a good number, and more than in Feb 2012. More HDR's, but quite a big drop in HD's, possibly because most retailers have now discontinued selling them.

Does any one have any idea of total Humax ownership in the U.K.? I would be very interested in knowing the figures

Perhaps tvlicensing could help with that statistic. Every time TV's (and I presume DVD players or HDRs) are purchased the retailer is obliged to ask your name and address and pass it on to tvlicensing. 5 or 6 years ago I bought my first HDR (not a Humax) and two weeks later someone from the Broadcasters Audience Research Board called to the house asking if we would be willing to have our viewing preferences monitored. This was before the publicity for the switchover.

Perhaps tvlicensing could help with that statistic.
Yes, I'm wondering if TV licensing are given the details of what piece of equipment the TV tuner is in, as anything with a tuner in it needs a licence. However - you never know . . . I might just ask Humax directly, rather than ask someone with contacts to them

I've updated the first post to include data for April and May 2013 and also added a second graph showing the total number of units running the custom firmware.

ROFL Just looked at financial information for Humax Holdings Co Ltd, a Korean based holding company.

Market capitalization: 117bn
Number of employees: 15

Either they are each very, very rich, or else we may have another tax-scamming company like Microsoft/Apple/Google/Amazon/Starbucks!:eek:

ROFL Just looked at financial information for Humax Holdings Co Ltd, a Korean based holding company.

Note that it is 117bn South Korean Won and you get about 1750 to the UK pound. Still impressive for 15 employees.

Number of employees: 15

Either they are each very, very rich, or else we may have another tax-scamming company like Microsoft/Apple/Google/Amazon/Starbucks!:eek:

You do know what market capitalization actually means, don't you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization

Companies don't pay tax on their market cap - that would be utterly irrational. That 117bn KRW (140.87bn today, according to the FT) is spread across 12.58m shares, and we have no idea who owns those. The employees might well own a proportion, but the stock is traded on the open market so only the company's registrars would really know who holds how many. Those 15 employees are just the employees of Humax Holdings Co Ltd: that figure doesn't include the employees of Humax Co Ltd, the subsidiary which makes STBs, or the other three subsidiaries.

The stock is actually fairly volatile, having a range of over 200% over the last 52 weeks. It's currently 16% off its 52-week high. Dividends have been stable over the last three years although 2012 was the holding company's worst year for net income out of the last five, apart from 2008 when it actually made a loss despite that being its best year for revenue in that period. There's no indication of how much of the revenue or P&L comes from Humax Co Ltd.

Cor. This is like reading the FT. But good concise, understandable info though. Thanks:)

A slightly larger number of HDs showing up for September. The number of HDRs still remains fairly constant.

I've updated the graphs in the first post to include stats for the last three months of 2013.

From my point of view, now that Humax software updates have virtually stopped (I don't expect any more beyind 1.03.12) it's finally worth installing CF on my parents and aunt's boxes. Mostly for the Fan package since they have both complained about the fan noise at high speed.

So are installs increasing now that Humax updates are over?

Updated for May & June. June was a quiet month for new installations!

Back