DIYing with the Raspberry Pi?

Simple question: is there a version of this that will run all the catch-up players, ie, for BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and five?

It appears not as far as I can find out. When you go to ITV Player it says that it needs to update your flash player. Well, the Pi does not use flash player because Adobe do not support the OS and in fact will not be supporting Linux.

The Pi use Gnash which runs some of the code but not all, so on the face of it ITV player is out.

However I have seen a mention of HTML5 in connection with flash player. I am using Midori on the Pi as a browser so, is HTML5 out too? There are other Pi browsers out there, so, maybe, just maybe but I doubt it. Anyway I think the PI is not capable of running something like ITV player whatever it runs on. :(. Would the Barebones do it?

Thanks xyz321 but I am currently experimenting with Raspbian wheezy. I will look, maybe there is something there for me.

I have sound working and also video, but not together. The video is via vlc and is jerky and no sound. Probably the Pi is not up to doing both together.

Having decided that with Raspbian I cannot play the Chinese new year celebrations, catchup TV or videos from USB or the Pi desktop, I will look at Raspbmc after I finish learning more.

It is interesting and I can experiment on the same tv that the missus is watching tv on lol. She is beginning to think I am into soaps!

It is like learning Mandarin, you know the words but the grammar is hard to grasp.

Thank you.

For the moment I am keeping Raspbian and installing XBMC on that. It is supposed to be more responsive than in Raspbmc

Don't seem to need the above. XBMC is playing videos with sound.
It can be controlled via the tv remote but seems to interfere with the norm, for example it put the tv into standby when closing.

BBC and ITV catchup working. I only needed ITV.

4oD cannot list categories so still need more to do. So far not seen 5.

Not too concerned about those so making a NAS which is more useful to me.

Maybe of interest: I am making up a data and power lead to send power to the HD and data to the Pi from two USB ports on an adaptor which can supply 2.5A on one port or split it over 4. I will use two for the HD and one for the Pi. The HD power/data lead needs to be adapted (Cut and soldered)

I wish, nothing until somebody makes a replacement for Flash Player. Gnash is not capable.

However, I have achieved an Internet Browser, BBC, ITV and Demand 5 Catchups so I have 50% of the minimum I needed. In addition I have something I can use as an always on Backup NAS which is a bonus. Also, I have learned a lot and as sure I will not stop so the money spent has been well spent.

Edit: Thanks all for resisting the urge to spoon feed me ;)

Lightspark is an alternative to Gnash.

http://lightspark.github.io/

Can't get it working in Midori even if I disable the gnash plugin.

However unless I proved wrong, I have given up on video in web page. The Pi is just not capable.

I am still not sure why it can play ITV catchup etc at normal speed but cannot play in web page video.

Hmm, I am certainly a nooby then because I don't even know what I need. I suppose as I only need ITV I must wait and see what I cannot do and then buy that codec.

Ok, thank you I remember now. I used to use Gspot to find which codec I needed.

However I have played many AVI files and never paid for a codec. They were just in whatever player I used.

Back