Hardware issue ?

Sargan

My TV stopped having any channels, bypassed the Humax box to plug aerial direct intoTV and all channels OK.
I re-looped in the Humax and rescanned TV & Humax, and some of the TV channels are there, others not, and some breaking up (HD)

If I watch live TV via Humax, all channels are there, is there something HUMAX does to pass-thru signal … sort of thought loop-thru was a basic wire, I guess not.

Is there any reset function for Humax ?

I mentioned in previous post getting increasing frequency of ‘freezes’. Either screen simply freezes, or remote unresponsive.
Any of diagnostics I should look at ?

I could run in another TV lead just for TV, just annoying.

Can you get replacement h/w board, or should I buy a newer box.

My TV stopped having any channels, bypassed the Humax box to plug aerial direct intoTV and all channels OK.
Yes, but how OK is OK?
I re-looped in the Humax and rescanned TV & Humax, and some of the TV channels are there, others not, and some breaking up (HD)

If I watch live TV via Humax, all channels are there
Huh?
is there something HUMAX does to pass-thru signal … sort of thought loop-thru was a basic wire, I guess not.
There's a buffer amplifier to split the signal. There is no such thing as a "basic wire" with RF.
No, not that will affect this. Reset what?
I mentioned in previous post getting increasing frequency of ‘freezes’. Either screen simply freezes, or remote unresponsive.
Too vague to know.
Looking at the signal strength/quality figures would be a start. Sounds like a signal problem from the aerial.
I could run in another TV lead just for TV,
Fed from what?
Can you get replacement h/w board
Which h/w board? The answer's no anyway.

If I watch live TV via Humax, all channels are there, is there something HUMAX does to pass-thru signal … sort of thought loop-thru was a basic wire, I guess not.

I could run in another TV lead just for TV, just annoying.

Can you get replacement h/w board, or should I buy a newer box.

There have been similar reports recently, if you bother to look.

The main PCB is the "essence" of a HDR-FOX, so you might as well get a replacement complete HDR-FOX (not sure what you mean by "newer:"). The PSU and front panel become spare parts.

What To Do with a Dead or Unwanted HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, or DTR-T1000/1010

Yes, but how OK is OK?

Huh?

There's a buffer amplifier to split the signal. There is no such thing as a "basic wire" with RF.

No, not that will affect this. Reset what?

Too vague to know.

Looking at the signal strength/quality figures would be a start. Sounds like a signal problem from the aerial.

Fed from what?

Which h/w board? The answer's no anyway.
The aerial works fine if plugged direct into TV … no signal issue
If I use the pass-thru so aerial plugged into Humax and then to TV it does not work, HD channels breaking up, many channels simply don’t work.

I have rescanned Humax and TV … no I provement.

The aerial works fine if plugged direct into TV … no signal issue
You don't know how close to the edge it is.
If I use the pass-thru so aerial plugged into Humax and then to TV it does not work, HD channels breaking up, many channels simply don’t work.
Which channels, which multiplexes?
I have rescanned Humax and TV … no I provement.
Stop wasting everybody's time and do some measurements, as I said, in both working and non-working state. Or go away if you can't be bothered.

I am a user of a product, I don’t have the capability to take measurements of signal strength.
If this is a function of the Humax box, and something I can look up, please advise where/what and I’ll take a look.

It’s plugged into aerial amp (other TV’s connected are working fine) I have changed to another output - no difference.
The Aerial receives its Freeview signal from Kilvey Transmitter, I have no knowledge of which ‘multiplexes’

I am a user of a product, I don’t have the capability to take measurements of signal strength.
If this is a function of the Humax box, and something I can look up, please advise where/what and I’ll take a look.

It’s plugged into aerial amp (other TV’s connected are working fine) I have changed to another output - no difference.
The Aerial receives its Freeview signal from Kilvey Transmitter, I have no knowledge of which ‘multiplexes’
How about you "take a look" through the settings of your box and spot a feature that every Humax box has that tells you signal strength and quality. I find it hard to believe that you have been a Humax user since at least 2015 and do not know this already.

Apologies for not being familiar with all the set up menus, I have never had a need to look this up before.

It says for following Channels
21 strength 40%
22 40%
24 36%
25 38%
27 42%
28 42%
34 22%

Quality states as 100% on all

Last edited:
Kilvey Hill transmitter (Swansea). A group A Vertically polarised transmitter (and always has been).

Those signal level numbers aren't the full story (need Q, too) but show a relatively weak signal in to my eyes. {Frequency ch 27 is the HD multiplex.} But if all channels are working on the PVR for live viewing and making recordings then it must be sufficient?

Check the box for its' power saving in Standby mode... lowest power saving mode turns off the RF pass-through signal to a TV set connected to it when in standby; and seems the most likely culprit for a loss of signal on the connected TV to me. How/why it would have been changed to cause an issue is a matter for speculation.
The TV should work fine if its internal tuner is tried with the PVR ON (not in Standby) like that. If not suspect the fly lead between the unit and TV set!

Sorry I had somehow left off last line (now added) quality shows as 100% on all Channels.
Last night I connected in another lead from the distribution amplifier, so TV & Humax each have own aerial feed cable, so all working again. I have checked the the Power Saving (caught out by that previously)

PVR's RF O/P connector or the fly lead female to male is where my money is on...
But the new cable direct is the better solution; and you can save energy with the power saving in standby option now!
Bonus.

Last night I connected in another lead from the distribution amplifier, so TV & Humax each have own aerial feed cable, so all working again.
There must be more to this than meets the eye. If you're saying that when the TV is fed from the HDR-FOX pass-through the TV works but the HDR-FOX doesn't, but if you provide the TV with a separate UHF feed they both work, then (on the face of it) that is very peculiar... especially with (apparently) the HDR-FOX reporting those signal stats.

My immediate thoughts are that in the process of re-jigging the aerial feeds you have also improved HDMI-UHF cross-talk, but if that were an issue I would expect the signal quality reports to show it.

There must be more to this than meets the eye. If you're saying that when the TV is fed from the HDR-FOX pass-through the TV works but the HDR-FOX doesn't, but if you provide the TV with a separate UHF feed they both work, then (on the face of it) that is very peculiar... especially with (apparently) the HDR-FOX reporting those signal stats.

My immediate thoughts are that in the process of re-jigging the aerial feeds you have also improved HDMI-UHF cross-talk, but if that were an issue I would expect the signal quality reports to show it.
Aerial lead was plugged into Humax, and a link lead from pass-thru output to TV aerial in. (Been working that way fine)
However 2 days ago lost all channels on TV ... Humax was fine, so watched Live TV via Humax ..... which is normal, only switch to TV direct if I want to use one of its Apps or Humax recording won't allow me to access a channel.
I took the aerial lead and plugged it direct into TV ... and TV worked fine ...
Tried removing and replacing the 'pass-thru' lead, seemed to make no difference.

It could be the lead (though pretty sure I tried substitute)

Anyway the additional lead is in place so workaround sorted.

Should I be looking to somehow increase signal strength ? .... but with a distribution amp in place (LabGear LDA2061LR) assume the signals are amplified to appropriate level.

@Black Hole I never read it as the HDR-Fox-T2 had reception issues. Only the TV on pass-through... although a second look at line 2 of the original post, I see it could easily be read as the HDR-Fox-T2 having problem.
I took it as the TV tuner only... and immediately suspected the power save in pass through issue.

@Sargan Improvements to the aerial would be the best way to increase the signal level if required.

Only a calibrated professional signal meter could tell whether the signals in from the receive aerial and out of the distribution amplifier are within the 'ideal' 45 to 65 dBuV.

You could use the TV metering on the main and other sets to see what they report (along with make and model).
We know a bit more here about the HDR-Fox-T2 and the Fox-T2 metering.
My HDR-Fox-T2 reports between 78 and 83% S with 100% Q on my six multiplexes from Sandy Heath (via -4dB splitter from a stupidly large tri-boom loft aerial).

But at the end of the day is you are having no reception issues with the current setup then the signal is adequate.

Apologies for not being familiar with all the set up menus, I have never had a need to look this up before.
There will be a menu somewhere on the TV to report similar figures too.
It says for following Channels
21 strength 40%
22 40%
24 36%
25 38%
27 42%
28 42%
34 22%
Where's your aerial? What age/condition? How far roughly from the TX and are you obstructed by all those Welsh hills (never been to the Swansea area so don't know the local geography)?
If you already have an amplifier (how much gain does it have?) then the signal levels do seem a bit low.
I took the aerial lead and plugged it direct into TV ... and TV worked fine ...
Tried removing and replacing the 'pass-thru' lead, seemed to make no difference.
You need to compare the figures on the TV with the aerial direct in to it and then with the 'pass-thru' lead as well (without the Humax). And then you can compare the extra cable levels as well.
If they are significantly different then one of the leads is the problem. If not, then it looks like it's the Humax (or its output socket as Rodders53 said).

I never read it as the HDR-Fox-T2 had reception issues. Only the TV on pass-through... although a second look at line 2 of the original post, I see it could easily be read as the HDR-Fox-T2 having problem.
I took it as the TV tuner only... and immediately suspected the power save in pass through issue.
You're right, I misread it.

Back