Closed Poll Have you had problems recording the new HD channels?

Problems recording the new HD channels: which transmitter? Reply if not listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I read this on another (general) forum; not sure if it has been posted on here.

I totally cured my HDR-FOX T2 of the problem by switching the recorder to an offending channel (eg BBC4 HD), leaving it for about five minutes to start filling the buffer properly, and then starting an instant recording and leaving it for about five minutes. All subsequent timer and instant recordings worked faultlessly. This also worked on BBC3 HD and the CBBC HD etc channels. All were showing the 0 min problem beforehand.

It's almost as though you have to "teach" the Hummy to recognise the channel. I informed Humax Support and they passed it on to the developers.

Thanks, that's the first mention on this forum as far as I know.

Is this a one-off process or something that has to be repeated each time? If it has to be repeated, is that per boot or per channel change?

I totally cured my HDR-FOX T2 of the problem by switching the recorder to an offending channel (eg BBC4 HD), leaving it for about five minutes to start filling the buffer properly, and then starting an instant recording and leaving it for about five minutes. All subsequent timer and instant recordings worked faultlessly.

Interesting. I wonder if it needs to be an instant recording.
Because, a couple of weeks ago we watched The Bridge II live while it was also recording. For the first time ever those recordings weren't broken (I just thought that was Murphy's doing at the time), but last week's were OK too, when we didn't watch live.
So maybe you just need to watch the channel for a while while a recording is in progress.

And I'd love to know why the heck that would work :confused:

Did you perform this procedure on each channel that was failing, or was it sufficient to do it on just one for it to work OK on the others?

Just a reminder for anyone who has not yet voted, this poll will be closing tomorrow morning, February 1st 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Did you perform this procedure on each channel that was failing, or was it sufficient to do it on just one for it to work OK on the others?

Each channel that was failing.

You should have CBBC and BBC Three HD (all transmitters have these)

Well, then, it depends on what you call the "new" HD channels. Some of them will not be "new" to me on Freeview until June.

Why I would want to record CBBC or BBC3 I do not know, but I will reply to the Poll in June when I record something from BBC4.

Or in my case the same box tuned to 3 different transmitters had the same results (all BBC3 HD fails and CBBC HD OK) but after a retune of the BBC3/CBBC HD muxs one of them has different results from the other two and all of them had different results to before the retune.

Maybe the retune is significant. I had no problems for 4weeks then the problem resurfaced. I recall doing a retune on HDR2 shortly before the problem resurfaced. A few test recordings in the week since showed no problems so last night I did a manual retune of the MUX carrying the HD channels (BBC3 HD broadcasting at the time and CBBC HD off air) and today failed recordings on CBBC HD. Coincidence or random? Will we ever know?

What's needed now is an accumulation of results from two groups: those who have implemented the "cure" and those who have not.

What's needed now is an accumulation of results from two groups: those who have implemented the "cure" and those who have not.
Nozzer seems to be on to something. As an experiment I retuned the HD MUX last night when BBC3 HD was broadcasting and again today two failed recordings of series linked CBBC HD programmes.

I then switched on to CBBC HD to watch it live and the next CBBC series linked programme recorded no problems.

Incidentally has this problem of Obyte nts only happened on series linked recordings. I had one programming that I scheduled on its own (ie I declined the record series option when selecting it). The box acted as if it was recording it but it never appeared in the media list. On the schedule list the red icon beside the schedule indicated that it was being recorded, but even chase play wouldn't work. (Edit have located the recording I.e. series link and one off recordings were both affected.)

Incidentally has this problem of Obyte nts only happened on series linked recordings.
No, this problem of Obyte nts happens with other timers as well as series linked recordings. At one point I had 24 one minute repeat timers so that I could sample passes and failures with 12 of them failing each day and occasionally some ad hoc 1 minute timers to check that they were consistant with the repeat timers.

Having previously had 'failures' (zero minutes, ts OK), I've now tried watching BBC4HD for a while, instigating an instant record (OK), and then setting an AR (OK).

Update: I tried nozzer's fix last night. I put BBC 4 HD on for a few minutes, then instant recorded for a few minutes, and continued watching for 15 minutes or so. I then set The Joy Of ABBA to record later and put the unit into standby. The ABBA programme recorded successfully. This is the first time anything has been successful on one of these channels.

The question now is whether programmes continue to record successfully without further intervention.

The question now is whether programmes continue to record successfully without further intervention.

Well, our Bridge IIs recorded successfully for the third time last night - second since our 'accidental' intervention. The box has not been powered off (only to standby), retuned or reset since the original 'intervention' 2 weeks ago, so I guess I/we need to do some tests.

If you retune then will the problem resurface and need to use the fix again?

Will Nozzers fix work with just tuning into the HD channels for several minutes or is the instant record always necessary?

If the problem is sorted by Nozzers fix and then resurfaces after a retune at least the randomness of the failures may be explained!

I started testing recordings on my HDR and HD on 15/12/13 using matched AR timers. No resets or re-tunes since then.

On my HDR I had failures on both channels for 3 days. I then carried out a successful instant recording on 18/12/13 for 30 minutes. All subsequent single and series recordings have been successful - Family Guy, American Dad, The Bridge II plus others.

On my HD I could successfully record BBC3HD but not BBC4HD. On 18/12/13 I carried out a successful instant recording on BBC4HD. On 19/12/13 the BBC4HD recordings again failed. However, subsequent single and series BBC3HD and BBC4HD recordings have been successful - Family Guy, American Dad, The Bridge II plus others.

I saw the post by meltcity on Digital Spy on 24/12/13 and was initially interested since it confirmed my experience with my HDR, but not immediately with my HD, but subsequent posts on this Forum's "Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel" thread seemed to indicate the failure was more random.

Martin

EDIT: Please disregard this, I had a senior moment and messed the test up. Mixed up Channel 4HD with BBC4HD for the setup part of the test!!!

ORIGINAL (erroneous) INFO:
Bought a new (2nd) HDR Fox T2 last week.
Upgraded to 2.21/1.03.06 etc.
On Saturday both BBC4HD recordings of Bridge II failed (0 length).
On Sunday, I tuned to BBC4HD, watched for few minutes, recorded for 5 minutes, etc.. As per advice.
Set recording for Sunday evening (Blondie - what else!:)). That recording ALSO FAILED (0 length).
All timed recordings are via AP.
Blondie was manual instant control from remote.
Box is 500GB none-RE version.
Transmitter Sutton Coldfield.

Does this indicate that the possible fix isn't such?

EDIT: box was in standby (not Eco) in between

Back