iOS7... and iOS9

I have switched iMessage off again on her phone. A daughter must have switched it on. If we want to send messages over WiFi we use email anyway.

I upgraded my iPads to iOS 8 on Thursday, and have had no issues with it so far.

So iOS8 includes wireless charging after all?

ios-8-wave-copy_650_091914060858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard rumours that you can't even make a phone call from the latest apple offering:rolling:
(Especially after you have wave charged it:frantic:)

I've heard rumours that you can't even make a phone call from the latest apple offering:rolling:

Well, after 9 phone calls about bent iPhone 6's, they just had to do something to stop the avalanche. iOS 8.0.1 fixed it.

8.0.2 is out that updates the iPhone 6 and 6Plus to add phone functionality!

On a more serious note, it fixes some of the flaws in iOS 8 and is running fine on my iPhone 5 & iPad Air

For reference, regarding my auto-correction annoyances, I have reset the user dictionary to factory and will see how it gets on now. Ill wed ill wed ill wed ill wed - nope, still wants I'll and we'd!

I have now added "ill" and "wed" as "keyboard shortcuts" (without defining what they shortcut to).

I'll wed ill wed ill wed
Wed ill wed ill

OK, now I need to add "Ill" as well, but otherwise looking good.

I think the answer is to start from a clean dictionary, assiduously "x" any unwanted replacements or accept wanted ones so that the dictionary doesn't get corrupted, and add shortcuts for anything it gets wrong.

At least I have the option of exactly what I type on my android keyboard. I just have to make sure that it doesn't autocorrect when I don't want it to.
e.g.If I type "I am ill", the autocorrect would insert 'ill' by default if I tap space. If I type "I think ill" it offers 'I'll' as the default if I tap space, which is exactly what I would expect it to do ;=)
But should I not want the default, I can select what I do want.

OK, now I need to add "Ill" as well, but otherwise looking good.
Damn, it won't let me. Says I can't define the same shortcut twice (it's obviously not the same shortcut, as per post 52). Now I can see I will have to add "cant" as well (which is a valid word, not necessarily "can't" mis-spelt). This could get tedious.

At least I have found an explanation for some of my iOS annoyances:
Scientific American (Dec 2014 p23) said:
the on-screen keys change size based on probability (not visually but behind the scenes).

I have suspected something like that. If I'm not hitting the centre of the key graphics it take licence to substitute the adjacent key if it thinks that's more likely what I meant! Then it starts a cascade because if one letter wasn't what I meant chances are the next one won't be either...

Last edited:
I have (perhaps foolishly) updated to iOS 9.2.1, because I wanted the custom repetition of events option in Calendar. Now I have a whole new batch of bugs and "features" to get used to.

For example: I can no longer select text for copy in Notes without opening the note for editing.

Calendar still doesn't have the ability to copy&paste an event - to create a new (non-repeating) event on a different date from an existing event, but with all other details the same (eg: deciding the date of the next committee meeting at the current meeting).

When text editing, it is not possible to move the cursor to the end of a string that the spell checker thinks is invalid without the string becoming highlighted for replacement - whatever you do, except move the cursor away again, results in the existing string being removed or replaced.

I quite like the two-finger track pad, but not sure how much I will use it.

Selecting text in a post edit on this forum can produce some weird effects: the position of the displayed selection block can be displaced from the actual text - even off screen - although the actual text really is selected. For some things I have had to revert to the BB Code editor, because the selection process in the RTF editor was almost as vague as Android.

The double-home open apps management has gone weird too. Apps are now listed with the most recent to the right (it was most recent to the left on iOS7), and instead of the current app being at the focus when you double-home or four fingers swipe up (which is where you want it to close it), it is the previous app at the focus (when all you needed to do for that was four fingers swipe right).

Something that is annoying me is that the Safari navigation bar auto-hides. I know that gives more screen area, but I would rather it didn't and there does not appear to be a user setting to stop it.

At least the predictive text bar at the top of the keyboard is an improvement.

Back