Laggy EPG with version 1.03.xx

I know Chris (Daniels) managed to improve EPG lag by performing a Factory Reset, so I I though I would give it a go, details :-

BEFORE Factory Reset
Ver : 1.03.06
With 15 active and 9 dead items in my schedule
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 9 Mins. 25 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) = 76 Seconds

After Factory Reset
Ver 1.03.06
No schedule or Favourites
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 5Mins. 39 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) =45 Seconds

After Factory Reset and restore schedule / favourites
Ver 1.03.06
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 8Mins. 36 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) =71 Seconds

So no real improvement from a Factory Reset :(

Brian could you '72-right' test on your 7 Channel (1.03.xx) Humax? meanwhile I will start deleting some unwanted channels

I deleted some TV channels (107 down 67) and the 72-right time went up ! ! !
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 10Mins. 52 Secs
Can't explain why, Oh and I think I can beat the Max 'top' measurement, 118% ? ? ?

top-high.jpg

I know Chris (Daniels) managed to improve EPG lag by performing a Factory Reset, so I I though I would give it a go, details :-

BEFORE Factory Reset
Ver : 1.03.06
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 9 Mins. 25 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) = 76 Seconds

After Factory Reset
Ver 1.03.06
No schedule or Favourites
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 5Mins. 39 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) =45 Seconds

After Factory Reset and restore schedule / favourites
Ver 1.03.06
CH72 scroll right (for 1 week) = 8Mins. 36 Secs
Scroll down (107 channels) =71 Seconds

So no real improvement from a Factory Reset :(

It's gone from 9:25 to 8:36. That's a real improvement, if we could repeat that level of improvement 4 times over we'd be getting somewhere.

Just found this thread. Noticed my EPG very slow yesterday but not changed anything (tuning etc) for at least a month. Software is 1.03.12. I added the new BBC HD channels about a month and the new local service (BonanzaBonanza) and also have channels from 2 regions (West/Wales). 56 channels in total.

I guess my question has to be... is there going to be a solution to this problem. Has Humax commented?

Chris

As prpr has pointed out in another thread, a factory reset wipes the schedule database. If restoring the same schedule following a factory reset results in better performance then perhaps automatically cleaning up the database on each boot would be beneficial? (SQLite3 Vacuum).
I have 10 entries in rsv.db - all of them active, none expired. The file is 10KB in size. Vacuuming is going to be pointless isn't it?
My EPG range goes from 23 Feb. to 7th March and the file is 2.45MB

How about bringing up the EPG on channel 72 and holding down the right button until the end of data is reached and timing that? That would let us broadly compare boxes and see if specific things fix the issue.
It look 70 seconds to do a day's worth. I'm not going to do the whole lot.

I've done some playing and there's no network traffic when browsing the EPG and it doesn't seem to be referencing the file on disk at all unless you set something to record. Nor does there seem to be spurious data in the schedule database such as an accumulation of previously recorded events...

Maybe Ezra is on to something with the refreshing programme info - I'll have to see what happens on 1.02.

btw, if you want to run the test without gaining RSI you can do it from the command line with the ir package installed:

Code:
humax# while :; do ir RIGHT; done

and press ^C (control and C together) to stop it, although the screen will keep scrolling for a while.

so whats the best temporary workaround on this then, i've updated using the latest CF (2.22) with the FW (1.03.12) package, and i have the slow EPG problem, can i backtrack to keep the portal and BBC4HD solution, but have a speedier EPG, or is this fix still a work in progress?

I think we can say there isn't one at the minute unless you downgrade to 1.02.xx. So basically its the improved iPlayer plus recording HD issues fixed with slow EPG or not. There is a better table on another thread that lists pros and cons. I think if you schedule / browse the epg via the custom software then its not a big issue e.g. via PC, netbook, laptop, tablet, mobile. But if you like to do it via the TV then you find you have issues. I don't find that the EPG via the TV screen is that useful for browsing what's on irrespective of the performance issues. I just use it to pick up specific programmes but not to graze what is available.

Some people have seen an improvement by deleting any expired schedule entries or performing a reset to default settings (you would lose all the schedule entries and settings). I have to say I am somewhat sceptical since it made very little difference in my case.

Back