Media mistakes

Open -2 hours on Sunday or 22 hours into Monday. That would contradict Monday opening. What is the real closing time on Sunday?

My guess is 22.00. That sign is so much more difficult to read than if it had said

OPEN 17.30-23.00 (12.00-22.00 SUNDAYS)

BBC news website this morning:
There were thousands of lightning flashes across the region, with people reporting spectacular strikes on social media.

Could that finally kill twitter?

nottinghampost.com said:
A man was taken to hospital following an alleged serious assault by a Co-op store in a Nottinghamshire town. [Hucknall]
I've had trouble with an abusive manager at a Co-op (I now boycott all Co-ops). It's getting worse! The stores are fighting back.

I saw an item about crime prevention, IIRC it was on The One Show, where both the policeman and the interviewer were talking about 'burgalry'.

What are people's' views on the road sign apostrophe dropping row going on in North Yorkshire?

I think I am OK with the apostrophe being dropped on the basis that with dirty road signs it is often not clear whether it is meant to be there or not anyway - a bit of bird poo can look like an apostrophe.

I would have thought this was grist for AvP.

The problem I have with it is lack of differentiation between possessive and plural, and therefore disconnection from the history of why a place is called what it is. It seems to me the argument that losing the apostrophe will make database searches easier is just a straw man - fix the databases.

In other bird poo news:
a bit of bird poo can look like an apostrophe.
My local councils seem to think bird poo looks like used chewing gum and keep complaining about it. If it is gum there have been scores of people standing around gobbing their gum in various locations. Meanwhile the hundreds of pigeons crapping everywhere are the real culprits.
fix the databases
Definitely! The database should contain the actual name of the location. If that contains punctuation then so should the database. An abbreviated version of the actual name shouldn't be stored in the database. Long live the apostrophe!

...disconnection from the history...
It has just occurred to me that disconnection from history might be the hidden and deliberate agenda of woke councils, Bristol being a case in point (Bristol Beacon indeed!). They even renamed Colston's School (but it's still on Colston Hill!).

Last edited:
Long live the apostrophe!
Absolutely, and as BH said, fix the databases... search engines cope if you spell or write a number. I live on a "HUNT'S LANE" (but am anti blood sport) and nav apps locate me with or without the ' . I'd be out with a marker pen if it got changed. I've sub-edited a few novels, ~90% of my corrections are (mainly) commas and (the rest) apostrophes.

How many book binding suppliers down your high street?
Nottingham used to have a book binders near the city centre - useful for binding theses. We lost that years ago. Thesis binding now seems to be done in very small and well off the high street places. Doubt they use leather dressing. They'd have been better pointing viewers at a search engine. Loads of possibilities there.

Back