[network-shares-automount] package released

I don't understand what point you are making. I know about "_" which is why I have been using it, we are discussing this in the automount forum topic so that proves I am aware of the subject, and your Wiki link adds nothing further. Do you have a contribution to make to my current problem?

I don't understand what point you are making. I know about "_" which is why I have been using it, we are discussing this in the automount forum topic so that proves I am aware of the subject, and your Wiki link adds nothing further. Do you have a contribution to make to my current problem?
I could probably try to spell a Welsh Railway station

Perhaps someone could remind me of the last time I commented on a spelling mistake.

Cardiff Queen Street

Attempting to drag us back to the topic...

Problem: I can't find a way to mount the SMB directly into My Video. I tried the same method as with NFS but no joy.

As far as I can tell, the current package doesn't support that. It wouldn't be too hard to add though.

Sunday 9:09am 10th March 2013, 5 days ago
I notice you didn't post a link, presumably because your "example" is actually a non-example:

http://hummy.tv/forum/posts/38202/

I regard it as improprietous to quote and remove the link to the quoted post (as I have noticed several times). It makes it difficult to refer back and check what was actually posted and whether it has been taken out of context, or even mis-quoted. The difference between .hmt and .htm is not just a spelling mistake, it is an error of fact - just as saying "the HDR-FOX has no DLNA server" would be (only one letter wrong, but totally incorrect).

As far as I can tell, the current package doesn't support that. It wouldn't be too hard to add though.
I don't mind having a play. At least I now know not to spend more time in [ModSettings]. I appear to be on the bleeding edge with this, as nobody else has any ideas.

I notice you didn't post a link, presumably because your "example" is actually a non-example:

http://hummy.tv/forum/posts/38202/

I regard it as improprietous to quote and remove the link to the quoted post (as I have noticed several times). It makes it difficult to refer back and check what was actually posted and whether it has been taken out of context, or even mis-quoted. The difference between .hmt and .htm is not just a spelling mistake, it is an error of fact - just as saying "the HDR-FOX has no DLNA server" would be (only one letter wrong, but totally incorrect).

You asked for the 'last time' and that is what I supplied.
Not sure what you referring with the 'removed link', but #468 has not been edited in any way, get the Mods to check the history file. As you corrected someone's spelling why is it a non example?, the point is you clearly understood what the poster was referring to, so there was no need to point out his error at all

I don't mind having a play.
Right, cracked it.

On HDR3, edit /mod/etc/smb.conf as follows: copy the section beginning "[Media]" and add to the end of the file. Change it to read (only the first three lines need adjustment):
Code:
[MyVideo]
   comment = My Video
   path = /media/My Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

Now, in HDR1 (or whatever), in [ModSettings]/smb for the HDRFOX3 mount, change to "folder=MyVideo" (note no space, to avoid any hiccups). Reboot both ends, and then (from HDR1) clicking into USB device "HDRFOX3" gets straight into HDR3's My Video folder.

This is important, because my next step is to create an SMB mount of HDR1 on HDR3 (and to include any external drives in the mount). This means the HDRFOX3 mount will also be visible in the mount, and if I had not made it only see My Video it would create a circular reference (although HDR3 will be able to see device HDRFOX3 within HDR1, it will not recurse ad infinitum).

my next step is to create an SMB mount of HDR1 on HDR3 (and to include any external drives in the mount).
Success! I am really chuffed. :)

I currently have a HDR3 recording playing on the HD-FOX, another HDR3 recording playing on HDR1, and a HiDef recording from an external drive connected to HDR1 playing on HDR3 (with occasional stutters - HDR3 and its network link are doing a lot of work, and it improved when I cancelled the playback on HDR1), all simultaneously, all by SMB network mount, and as far as I can see without corrupting the drive space calculation on any of them.

A couple of minor worries on the way:
  • A new mount seems to take a while to establish, even after a reboot. HDR3's HDRFOX1 mount showed up as empty for some time, then magically appeared. This might give the impression it's not going to work (I was starting to think NFS again...).
  • Although I could see the HDRFOX1 contents in HDR3's WebIF browser, the mount was not showing up in Media >> Storage >> USB (there was no USB option). Of course - I had neglected to fit a real USB device (I don't want the pop-up menu that comes as a side-effect of virtual-disk2).

Hi

I installed this package with a view to making films on my Linkstation visible, but didn't really get very far!

The package installed OK and I got the folder [ModSettings] directory and sub directories created.
But I didn't know how to get nfs installed on the Linkstation. It appears to have support for Windows and Apple sharing, but not nfs. Has anybody got this working on a Buffalo Linkstation Live?

If it has support for Windows, then Samba/CIFS is probably going to be the easiest route.
Do you know how to set up shares on the Buffalo machine?

OK, I'll try the SMB (is this the same as Samba/CIF)?
The Buffalo already has a share (called share), but that shares the whole disk. I'd like to set up another share that just shares the videos directory, but can't see a way of doing this via the management GUI. I can create a new shared folder but all I get are options to give it a name, description, but not an actual directory, only a volume. As I only have one disk, then that'll end up the same as the existing share won't it?

Yes, Samba gets its name from SMB, and CIFS is the client end.

I don't know for sure, but I think you are worrying unnecessarily. If you set up the share you require at the NAS end and give it a name (as you say), then use "folder=<name>" in [ModSettings], that should do it. Don't expect it to work straight away, my experience is that these things take time to start working.

You were right, I was worrying unnecessarily! I just used the existing "share" and bingo, it works! I do need to have a USB stick plugged in though.

Thanks!

Back