New user - the good and the not so good

I agree about punch-through, but in the mean time the solution is a Harmony.
With punch-through though, if we hacked the Humax RC, what would happen if we did want to adjust the Humax volume?

I'd use my old Kameleon control (Magic-Volume is set up to control the Humax).

btw, the power-channel package can also set the volume on startup so I have mine set up to force the volume back to 20 on each boot in case the kids or SWMBO have changed it.

I believe the OP would prefer it if the volume buttons in PVR mode punched through to TV mode, as can be configured on many universal remotes. I fully agree with him, it's a pain to keep having to switch between TV and PVR modes and forgetting which one you're on, particularly as pause in TV mode switches the input source on my TV. I may end up soldering on some JP-1 connections to my Humax remote and reprogramming it!
I think that perhaps there should be an option to choose what the Humax remote Volume Control works. Can you imagine the confusion that it would cause "Joe public" when the volume control did not work on his new Humax box. It should work the Humax by default, but it would be nice if the user could then have the option to select another device for it to work instead,

First things first, check you are on the latest firmware revision. Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information. Software Version should read 1.02.20.

Chase Play: I don't understand your problem. While something is recording, press "Media", then navigate to the recording. If it is part of a series recording, it will be in its own folder under My Video, if not part of a series recording then it will be immediately under My Video. If it is being actively recorded it will be identified with a red dot. Having moved the cursor to highlight the recording, press "OK" and you will have a menu pop up with "Play from the start" as the only available option; alternatively press the play button on the RC handset and it will play from the start immediately. If this is not what you find, there is a problem somewhere.

What's wrong with having a volume control? Nobody says you have to use it, and you can easily press the "TV" button on the handset to control the TV volume instead. The general advice is to set the Humax volume to 20 (it goes to more than 11) and then control the final volume using whatever is generating the final sound (TV or amp). I use the Humax volume control when watching via my projector, because it is more convenient to set the projector to max and use the Humax to reduce it. If you get a Logitec Harmony universal remote control, you can program it to control the TV volume whatever mode the handset is in.

BH

Black Hole, thanks for your help.

Yes, I am on the latest software, I checked this in the first minutes of having the box.

I was going to have another play with chasing playback last night but I ended up having to fix a problem with our aerial system. I do intend to have another play tonight. The problem I got was a message "unavailable" during the recording but was fine the instant the recording stopped. At that time, I wasn't sure the box did chasing playback and so I may have given up rather easily.
As I say, I will spend some time on it tonight. I will make every effort and report back tomorrow with my findings provided nothing beyond my control happens in the mean time.

It's not normal for source components to have volume controls really is it? The volume controls should be on the TV or amplifier and Ideally the remote should talk to either of these when in PVR mode IMHO. In our house we use Sky in addition to the humax and I miss the convenience of just hitting the volume control without concern over which mode the blinking thing is in.

BH, if your using the amp & speakers in a PJ I hope they're an order of magnitude better than any PJ speakers I've seen.

Cheers and thanks again.

Bob.

I think that perhaps there should be an option to choose what the Humax remote Volume Control works. Can you imagine the confusion that it would cause "Joe public" when the volume control did not work on his new Humax box. It should work the Humax by default, but it would be nice if the user could then have the option to select another device for it to work instead,
Yer say that but as far as I know there is no volume function at all in a modern Sky box and it was only a preset setting in the older software, never a continuous function. I think there are a fair few Sky boxes around.

Cheers,

Bob.

It's not normal for source components to have volume controls really is it? The volume controls should be on the TV or amplifier and Ideally the remote should talk to either of these when in PVR mode IMHO. In our house we use Sky in addition to the humax and I miss the convenience of just hitting the volume control without concern over which mode the blinking thing is in.
Yes, it is quite normal for source components to have their own volume control.

Yer say that but as far as I know there is no volume function at all in a modern Sky box and it was only a preset setting in the older software, never a continuous function. I think there are a fair few Sky boxes around.

Cheers,

Bob.
There may not be a volume function in a modern Sky box, this would seem to be another useful feature that is missing. However that doesn't surprise me as they are not the be all and end all of PVR's.;)

Yes, it is quite normal for source components to have their own volume control.

Hi Brian,
No point in banging on too much about this as it comes to to matter of opinion really but I would make the following points.

I think it much better to always contol volume on the amp or TV because if you don't, when you switch to another source the volume will be different, wake the baby, blow the speakers whatever. I can see no advantage for normal users (tv ot hifi) in having a volume control in the source box except for a one off level match function with other sources like Sky boxes used to.

I've never seen a volume control on a Bluray or a DVD, Sky don't have them. If you're an audiofile I suppose you might wish to drive a power amp direct from the source but not for TV surely that would be a bit extreme.

Bob.

There may not be a volume function in a modern Sky box, this would seem to be another useful feature that is missing. However that doesn't surprise me as they are not the be all and end all of PVR's.;)

I've got to ask. Why on earth do you want a volume control in a PVR?
I'm gonna learn something here as I can see not the slightest advantage.

Bob.

as far as I know there is no volume function at all in a modern Sky box

Really? So you have to have the Sky remote to change channels/EPG whatever and then have your TV remote there as well just to do the volume? Glad I don't need one of those then - I just turn the telly on (the volume setting on the TV doesn't change much) and then I have all the functions (including a way to control how loud the audio is) all on the one remote. Granted if I fire up the Home Theatre box then I have to do volume a different way.

[EDIT] And yes it is just personal preference for each individual but I only ask here in case there's a clever trick or benefit I'm missing out on!!!:)

Really? So you have to have the Sky remote to change channels/EPG whatever and then have your TV remote there as well just to do the volume? Glad I don't need one of those then - I just turn the telly on (the volume setting on the TV doesn't change much) and then I have all the functions (including a way to control how loud the audio is) all on the one remote. Granted if I fire up the Home Theatre box then I have to do volume a different way.

[EDIT] And yes it is just personal preference for each individual but I only ask here in case there's a clever trick or benefit I'm missing out on!!!:)

Ah yes, well yer see, The Sky box has no volume control but the Sky remote does. The sky remote only controls the TV volume regardless of if in TV control mode or Sky control mode. Therefore, if you turn the tv down with the sky remote and then swap between sky and DTTV then the volume remains consistent and you still only have one remote.

Cheers,

Bob.

Ah yes, well yer see, The Sky box has no volume control but the Sky remote does. The sky remote only controls the TV volume regardless of if in TV control mode or Sky control mode. Therefore, if you turn the tv down with the sky remote and then swap between sky and DTTV then the volume remains consistent and you still only have one remote.

Cheers,

Bob.
Presumably the Sky remote volume control will not work until you have programmed it with a code for your make of TV?
The TopUp TV boxes use a similar system where the volume control will work the TV after programming it with an appropriate code.

I think it much better to always contol volume on the amp or TV because if you don't, when you switch to another source the volume will be different, wake the baby, blow the speakers whatever. I can see no advantage for normal users (tv ot hifi) in having a volume control in the source box except for a one off level match function with other sources like Sky boxes used to.

I've never seen a volume control on a Bluray or a DVD, Sky don't have them. If you're an audiofile I suppose you might wish to drive a power amp direct from the source but not for TV surely that would be a bit extreme.

Bob.
I have yet to find two sources that didn't have different volume output levels, so the volume control can be used as you suggest to help to match their output levels.
It is not unusual to have a volume control on a DVD player, and I think that I have seen one on a Blu-ray player but am not certain.

Presumably the Sky remote volume control will not work until you have programmed it with a code for your make of TV?
The TopUp TV boxes use a similar system where the volume control will work the TV after programming it with an appropriate code.
You are correct and that is the disadvantage.
After that though you don't need to keep swapping between box control and TV control for the volume, it is just volume whichever mode the remote is in.

In an ideal world it would be great if the volume control function on the remote could be quickly and easily swapped to drive either TV, Amp and if you must PVR volume (why?) independantly of which mode the remote was in for other functions.

Bob.

I've got to ask. Why on earth do you want a volume control in a PVR?
I'm gonna learn something here as I can see not the slightest advantage.

Bob.
To adjust the volume level without having to use another remote control.:rolleyes:

In an ideal world it would be great if the volume control function on the remote could be quickly and easily swapped to drive either TV, Amp and if you must PVR volume (why?) independantly of which mode the remote was in for other functions.
You can Nearly do this with the Humax remote, it just requires two extra button presses, first one to press "TV" or "AUDIO", adjust volume as required then second one to press "PVR" again. Surely this isn't too much of a hardship.:) If this is, perhaps you should consider investing in a proper universal programmable remote control.;)

To adjust the volume level without having to use another remote control.:rolleyes:
Oh yes, I understand that. But surely you don't care if the remote adjusted the tv volume and not the PVR do you?
I agree you have to punch the correct numbers in but the Humax remote needs that too though I suppose, not simple volume.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I don't like about the Sky sustem and many things Humax does better but the volume control ain't one of 'em.
With the Sky volume system:
You only need 1 remote to control the PVR and the volume.
You don't need to swap modes if you're just watching Sky and you don't need to remember which mode its in.
You don'r need to buy another remote.

Bob.

Every device I have connected to my system (except hard disks) and every old device I have sitting in a drawer has its own volume control. I'm not sure why anyone would find that surprising or difficult to manage.

Every device I have connected to my system (except hard disks) and every old device I have sitting in a drawer has its own volume control. I'm not sure why anyone would find that surprising or difficult to manage.

Why am I surprised?
I think because I come from the Hi-Fi world where it is thought that volume contols are a black art. They are all audible and therefore having two in series is close to heresy. Secondly in all the source kit I've used owned and seen, the vast majority does not have a volume control.

I've never seen a volume control on a tuner, DVD player, Bluray player, VHS video recorders. I have seen one on a CD player but that had two outputs one fixed and the other variable which was aimed at people who wished to drive a power amp direct, without a second volume contol anywhere in the path.

I can think of only two sensible reasons for putting volume controls in source components.
1) So you can drive a power amp (or headphones) directly without going through a pre-amp containing another volume control.
2) To drive a TV that either has no remote control or it's broken.

Much more sensible IMHO is to make the volume control on the source component to control the TV volume or amplifier volume. That way, it's a system volume which means that when you switch sources you have roughly consitent volume. Why duplicate volume controls, you only need to use and pay for one. The Sky system for volume control is to my mind much more logical and far simpler to use.

More importantly, I've just had chassing playback workig. I've no idea why I had no success before but all seems well now.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Back