Optimising Power Consumption

ShaunHH

Hi all,

Sorry - posted this previously on FreeSat forum by mistake..

Trying to reduce Electricity costs, I've been going around my house with my plug in power meter looking at power consumption of my different devices.

I've realised that my Humax doesn't seem to go into Standby . I've checked it at different times through the day, there is no front panel display, no scheduled recordings, but the unit is drawing 20 to 23 watts.
I've got power saving turned on so, I thought that after 3 hours of inactivity it would go down to use < 1w (which I've seen it do in the past).
Is it likely that the system is continuously performing tasks for some reason (I know it is set to decrypt recordings on the disk etc).

Interestingly, some times when it's using full power the WebIF isn't available on the intranet, and I can't connect via telnet...

Any tips on optimizing power usage?

Thanks...

Good news at this time of year: the extra 20W will be warming your house and reducing the load on your central heating, unless you strangely have the STB in the garage or similar. Possibly you could be less sanguine about the situation during a heatwave.

Good news at this time of year: the extra 20W will be warming your house and reducing the load on your central heating, unless you strangely have the STB in the garage or similar. Possibly you could be less sanguine about the situation during a heatwave.
Bad news is that the extra 20w isn't putting the heat where I need it really - If I had a longer network lead I could put the the Humax in my bed to warm my feet :)

Bad news is that the extra 20w isn't putting the heat where I need it really - If I had a longer network lead I could put the the Humax in my bed to warm my feet :)
I had a UPS once that doubled as a foot-warmer under my desk.
I suspect that it had a poor charging circuit for the SLA battery, because the first time I had a power cut, it only ran for a few seconds before cutting out, and testing the battery showed it was basically useless.
Had an interesting back-and-forth with the company I had bought it from, because their guarantee period was 1yr, and while I'd paid for it just over a year previously, I had received it less than a year before.
They were unmoved when I pointed out that it almost certainly hadn't been capable of doing its job for months, and that it had likely been slowly killing its battery from the time I had first turned it on..
It was only when I asked them to write me a letter saying that they thought 1 year was a perfectly acceptable lifetime for a UPS that they backed down.

Back