[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

What does SSL cost? It seems to me once you have the server it'd be free, like anything else you run on it. I'm just trying to understand.

Seperate passwords for everything are fine in theory but the human brain just can't remember that many. I tend to zone mine into different areas, and all my online banking passwords are different. This forum I would not expect to use SSL, it's only people chatting. But logging in to a server to set or cancel recordings and reboot a set top box is the next level up, you can delete someone's recordings and reboot the box with that. That's where I draw the line and would use SSL.

I run my torrent server remotely over a webui, and I use SSL for that. That's about the same level of security as the RS portal in terms of what can be done with it.

Owen, none of the images in your post #397 are visible. If you want to post any images, you need to use the "Upload a File" button.

Edit: I have removed the broken images from your post

I just cut and pasted from the RS portal. I wasn't aware I could delete the broken images.

At regular intervals while booted.

How regular? Every ten minutes with the first check being on immediate startup? Every five minutes but the first one is five minutes after the box has started up, or what?

I need to know so I can decide what sort of timers I should set on the box. Are EPG reminders OK, and if so is one as short as five minutes good enough or does it need to be longer?

I was thinking of a 5 minute long reminder every hour, but without knowing what the timing intervals are I don't know if that would be long enough.

Your Humax will be communicating with the server over IPv4 but the site's IPv6 always works for me from the web browser.

It works for me - eventually. There have been times I've had to wait several minutes for the portal to redraw a page, is that normal?

I just cut and pasted from the RS portal. I wasn't aware I could delete the broken images.
Your copied and pasted images will only be visible in your own browser, whereas a saved screen grab can be uploaded for all to see. You should be able to delete images from your own posts using the Edit facility.

What does SSL cost? It seems to me once you have the server it'd be free,
But does the remote scheduling run on a dedicated server or is it shared hosting? The sites that I pay for that use SSL on shared hosting, the SSL certificate costs between £30 and £50 a year, depending on provider. If you are willing to foot the recurring bill then I think af123 would consider implementing it.

How regular? Every ten minutes with the first check being on immediate startup? Every five minutes but the first one is five minutes after the box has started up, or what?

Between 60 and 90 seconds following startup (there's a random factor).
Every 10-12 minutes thereafter (again there's a random element to stop every subscribed box polling at the same time).

What does SSL cost? It seems to me once you have the server it'd be free, like anything else you run on it. I'm just trying to understand.
To do the job properly you need an SSL certificate that will be trusted by web browsers and that costs money. You also need a dedicated IP address for each SSL site and terminating the connections requires additional processing power. I haven't asked the ISP (RS is a fairly custom thing for them) but I would guess around £50/year.

It works for me - eventually. There have been times I've had to wait several minutes for the portal to redraw a page, is that normal?
No, that isn't normal in my experience (and I use IPv6 from home too).

Between 60 and 90 seconds following startup (there's a random factor).
Every 10-12 minutes thereafter (again there's a random element to stop every subscribed box polling at the same time).

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. So a two minute power on would do them, if it can be scheduled.

I understand the randomisation, I once wrote softare for a system where up to 40,000 set top boxes could boot over ADSL at the same time if there was a wide area power cut. Actually in that case I just added the bottom byte of the MAC address in seconds as a delay, with that many boxes it's more even than making it random would be.

Your copied and pasted images will only be visible in your own browser, whereas a saved screen grab can be uploaded for all to see. You should be able to delete images from your own posts using the Edit facility.

Actually I couldn't see the images either they were just squares. But I didn't think it mattered, I was querying some behaviour not entering a beauty contest.

No-one seems to want to answer my question as to what sort of power ons work with RS. Maybe it's obvious to you guys, but it's not to me. I write software for a living and detail is everything.

No, that isn't normal in my experience (and I use IPv6 from home too).

I'll see how it goes, if the portal continues to be very sluggish with multi minute delays I'll report back. I'll try it from my iPad as well as my laptop.

After clicking bbc1hd option in first picture you get the second picture but the record buttons have now disappeared which makes it useless. disregard signature, I'm uptodate.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
The huge delay on me connecting by web browser to the RS portal is because it doesn't respond to IPv6 pings. I assume my browser waits for them to time out before switching to IPv4. See below for RS portal responding to ping -4, then not responding to ping -6, and then ping -6 to www.google.co.uk to prove that IPv6 pings do work from my network.

C:\Users\Owen Smith>ping -4 rs.hummypkg.org.uk
Pinging hummypkg.org.uk [89.248.55.76] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 89.248.55.76: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=248
Reply from 89.248.55.76: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=248
Reply from 89.248.55.76: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=248
Reply from 89.248.55.76: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=248
Ping statistics for 89.248.55.76:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 45ms

C:\Users\Owen Smith>ping -6 rs.hummypkg.org.uk
Pinging hummypkg.org.uk [2a00:5600:1600::1:1] from 2001:8b0:2ff:cd73:3522:4f3c:4
0d1:e350 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 2a00:5600:1600::1:1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Owen Smith>ping -6 www.google.co.uk
Pinging www.google.co.uk [2a00:1450:4009:805::1017] from 2001:8b0:2ff:cd73:3522:
4f3c:40d1:e350 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:805::1017: time=88ms
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:805::1017: time=60ms
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:805::1017: time=39ms
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:805::1017: time=70ms
Ping statistics for 2a00:1450:4009:805::1017:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 88ms, Average = 64ms

C:\Users\Owen Smith>

There's no reason that a web server needs to respond to ping requests. I've asked the ISP if they can enable it though since they allow it for IPv4.

Owen, what is the reason for all this? You seem to have an almighty battle.

My home network is dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 on Andrews and Arnold ISP. My Vista laptop is also dual stack. It's not that I particularly want to use IPv6, it's just that is what I get by default if I enter a URL which has an AAAA DNS record (IPv6 address) result. If both an A (IPv4) and AAAA (IPv6) result are returned, IE8 uses the IPv6 address by preference on a dual stack system like mine.

If I wanted to force IPv4 I'd have to turn off the IPv6 stack on my laptop, which is a bit of a blunt instrument. I'm not aware of a way to do it on a site by site basis.

IPv6 is actually a lot more fussy about pings working than IPv4. Given the many more uses they have in IPv6 network discovery and auto configuration, it is not a good idea to disable them.

Back