Samba

Don't have any problems here using Samba to transfer large files from a Win 7 mapped network drive to my T2. Windows 7 is 64bit which may or may not make a difference.
My share definition in smb.conf
Code:
[Video]
  comment = Video
  path = /mnt/hd2/My Video
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

Is Ztree worth the 30 dollars when I can use Teracopy for free?

To those who have grown up with it (and XTree that came before... 1985!) it is worth every penny.
It is a very powerful tool (capable of performing file operations across many directories).
But (much as I would like to promote the tool), most will find it either too complex (too many key combinations to remember) or too archaic in its presentation.

Could the share name 'My Video' be causing the issue? Raydon's share (which works) is just called 'Video' - spaces in share names can be problematic.

I have sent af123 a new version of the samba package 2.2.12-4 which may or may not fix the problem. I received a very helpful reply from one of the Foxsat CF developers @adrianf36 which referred to an additional patch to correct a problem with file sizes of 2GiB-4GiB, 6GiB-8GiB etc. I have to say that I have been unable to reproduce the fault with either version but YMMV. This new version will also auto-create shares for directories under /media if you allow the installation to replace the config file /mod/etc/smb.conf.

Ah, I'd forgotten all about that patch. My memory must be failing me. :oops:
Just had a dig through my records and I found this link describing the problem. You'll note in the details of that large file transfer that I posted earlier, that it was between 4 and 6GB, which is one of the ranges that do work without the patch.
Edit: Also found my original post on AV Forums about this, back in August 2012. I really must be losing the plot.:frantic:

Hi, FYI - after updating to 2.2.12-4 the >2GB problem still exists for me - ie copy file to Humax from PC gives disk space error. (for ref file was 2.42 GB (2,607,898,010 bytes)). FTP has no problem with the file.:)

I have sent af123 a new version of the samba package 2.2.12-4 which may or may not fix the problem. I received a very helpful reply from one of the Foxsat CF developers @adrianf36 which referred to an additional patch to correct a problem with file sizes of 2GiB-4GiB, 6GiB-8GiB etc. I have to say that I have been unable to reproduce the fault with either version but YMMV. This new version will also auto-create shares for directories under /media if you allow the installation to replace the config file /mod/etc/smb.conf.

Thanks xyz321 and af123. The 2.2.12-4 patch which auto-downloaded onto my boxes last night appears to have fixed the proble on the one that I tried a >2GB copy on. I'll try it on the others as well and report back.

Hi GTG, you may need to update your Samba config file as the default entry used to point at the wrong place (a 64MB temp file) instead of the hard disk that the video files are on. The latest version 2.2.12-4 should update the config file automatically so you shouldn't need to do that so it's probably worth double checking that your box is on that version. If you use "diag/edit file/open" to look at "/mod/etc/smb.conf" via the Web-if you should see an include entry at the end that picks up the auto generated entries created by the latest version.

The >2GB copy worked OK on the second box but I've noticed that the install of the Samba upgrade on that box hasn't completed. The /mod/etc/smb.conf file is still my old version but there is a /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg file there with the new settings sitting there but it hasn't replaced the old config file. I've tried rebooting the box but that hasn't fixed it. Any ideas? The upgrade on the first box has completed OK and the new config file has replaced the old. The package was auto-updated on both boxes and I got the banner telling me that the package had been updated on both.

The >2GB copy worked OK on the second box but I've noticed that the install of the Samba upgrade on that box hasn't completed. The /mod/etc/smb.conf file is still my old version but there is a /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg file there with the new settings sitting there but it hasn't replaced the old config file. I've tried rebooting the box but that hasn't fixed it. Any ideas? The upgrade on the first box has completed OK and the new config file has replaced the old. The package was auto-updated on both boxes and I got the banner telling me that the package had been updated on both.
smb.conf is defined as a configuration file by the package management. If the original has been manually changed then package management will not replace it. Instead it will create smb.conf-opkg. Solution is to delete smb.conf then rename smb.conf-opkg to smb.conf. You will need to stop and restart samba for it to pick up the new config.

smb.conf is defined as a configuration file by the package management. If the original has been manually changed then package management will not replace it. Instead it will create smb.conf-opkg. Solution is to delete smb.conf then rename smb.conf-opkg to smb.conf. You will need to stop and restart samba for it to pick up the new config.
Ah, the box that had the updated smb.conf is newly acquired so the original smb.conf file hadn't been updated. I'll do the renaming on the other boxes to complete the implementation of the latest version. Thanks for your reply.

Hi GTG, you may need to update your Samba config file as the default entry used to point at the wrong place (a 64MB temp file) instead of the hard disk that the video files are on. The latest version 2.2.12-4 should update the config file automatically so you shouldn't need to do that so it's probably worth double checking that your box is on that version. If you use "diag/edit file/open" to look at "/mod/etc/smb.conf" via the Web-if you should see an include entry at the end that picks up the auto generated entries created by the latest version.

Hi, not quite sure what I should be looking for in there but the last line of smb.conf is "include = /mod/etc/smb-hotplug.conf"

Testing again I can copy over a file under 2GB OK and a file over 4GB OK but nothing in between. Earlier in post #46 RAYDON linked to DSM-G600 which seems to describe the problem I still have rather well.

Hmm, that's very strange. Before updating my samba package with xyz321's latest release I tried copying a 2.68 GB file to the T2 just to prove it was the same bug. As expected, this failed with the lack of disk space error. After updating samba, I copied the same file to the T2 without any problem.

Stopping and starting samba seems to have sorted things out - 2.5GB and 6.5GB files have just gone over OK - woohooo :)

Stopping and starting samba seems to have sorted things out - 2.5GB and 6.5GB files have just gone over OK - woohooo :)
Well, like I said earlier, a restart won't do any harm, and in your case it definitely did some good. Glad you finally got a result.

Solution is to delete smb.conf then rename smb.conf-opkg to smb.conf. You will need to stop and restart samba for it to pick up the new config.
Is there anyway of rectifying this without resorting to Telnet access.
For instance, would uninstall and reinstall Samba work or a fix package command.

Is there anyway of rectifying this without resorting to Telnet access.
For instance, would uninstall and reinstall Samba work or a fix package command.
If you have modified the original smb.conf (which it sounds like you since you still have a problem) then uninstalling won't help as it will still leave the modified smb.conf behind. If you have an FTP server running on your T2 then you could use Filezilla, or the like, to go in and delete it. It's in folder /mod/etc. You could also use Filezilla to do the renaming as mentioned above if you haven't already uninstalled samba. Or if you do have to resort to telnet use the command rm /mod/etc/smb.conf then install samba again.

Back