Unable to telnet into Foxsat HDR

mikmakmok

Morning all.
I'd love a bit of help here. Running CF 4.1.3 for years without issue on a Foxsat-HDR. FTP working fine , custom firmware all good. Wired network, fixed IP.
It's done everything I need thanks to the wonders of the custom firmware, and this is my first problem.

I've had a couple more errors than normal in transport streams over the last few weeks when processing with ffmpeg, so I thought I'd run fixdisk. But I can't get a telnet session to start correctly.
I get no login, no menu, just the Foxsat-HDR~# prompt.
As shown below, if I type menu, it's not found. If I type login, I get to that stage, but HumaxFTP and 0000 don't work. I have never changed the default password, from either Humax gui or CFW.
Can I cd to somewhere else to run the menu? But I presume I've got to get past the login issue

Does anyone have any insight what I'm doing wrong? There may be nothing wrong with my disk, but I'd like to check and thought it would be easy.
Telnet session from Putty executable on Windows 11, tried 2 machines; one on same wired network as HDR, one over wifi, same result. I have reset the CFW and reinstalled all the packages I need. I've stop/started telnet via the webif, and full power down and back up makes no change.
That's about the limit of my diagnosing. Linux is a beast I've never worked with - I'm comfortable with command line work, but have no understanding of what I'm doing.

Thanks for listening, any help greatly appreciated.

Mark
Image1.png

Well thank you. Even though I'm feeling pretty foolish right now, thank you so so much.
fix-disk running now, I'll see what results it gives.

I've been strugging with this for a month now. fix-disk ran for 48 hours. Once it got past 52400000 inodes I cancelled it. No idea how far through that is on a 512G drive. Still occasional glitches in a very few recordings.
So today I formatted. Just from the standard Humax menu. And yet a fix-disk immediately after is still showing thousands of this error:

inode xxxxxxxx, has illegal block(s). Clear? yes
over and over and over.

And regularly repeated
inode xxxxxxxx has compression flag set on filesystem without compression support. Clear? yes

I guess questions I have are:
Would a format with the drive in a PC be any different?
Why does a newly formatted drive show errors with the filesystem? They don't seem like physical errors.
When fix-disk shows the Clear? yes message, is that done, or queued for action later? Because the current run I'm doing is blocks (in the 115xxxxx region at this point) that have been reported and supposedly cleared many times in the last month. Did my cancelling mean no action was taken?

Again, any suggestions gratefully received. Otherwise I'll stop the check again and live with it as is.

Oh, one more. I have a Seagate ST3500312CS with P/N 9GW132-012 lying around. Known to not be seen in an HDRFOX T2 as it's SATA I only (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/replacing-hard-disk.9691/)
Anyone know if the Foxsat would see this, my understanding is that we're SATA I here?

At what point do you decide to write off a disk? When it fails completely??

Oh, one more. I have a Seagate ST3500312CS with P/N 9GW132-012 lying around. Known to not be seen in an HDRFOX T2 as it's SATA I only (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/replacing-hard-disk.9691/)
Anyone know if the Foxsat would see this, my understanding is that we're SATA I here?
Is it not worth a try? In any case, the markings on the existing drive will provide a clue.

At what point indeed?
Just thought I'd ask before taking it apart again. As stated, I don't know why those errors appear on a newly formatted drive, but they're suggesting file system not hardware. To me anyway, because I don't understand what they actually mean.

As stated, I don't know why those errors appear on a newly formatted drive, but they're suggesting file system not hardware.
Sure, but the hardware is hidden behind the file system and only exposed to the user through the SMART attributes. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Foxsat CF to know what's available, but you should be looking at the SMART to assess the health of the hardware. It's a sure thing that problems with the hardware will throw up faults in the file system which keep coming back.

So today I formatted. Just from the standard Humax menu. And yet a fix-disk immediately after is still showing thousands of this error:
This happens on the HDR Fox T2 as well - see https://hummy.tv/forum/posts/170610
Would a format with the drive in a PC be any different?
Most certainly. But "PC" covers a multitude on sins. A PC running what? Anyway, how does that help?
Why does a newly formatted drive show errors with the filesystem?
Because Humax are apparently idiots, and mis-implemented their own formatting utilities.
When fix-disk shows the Clear? yes message, is that done, or queued for action later?
It's done at the time, if you say yes of course.
Did my cancelling mean no action was taken?
Of course. What else do you expect cancel to do?
Again, any suggestions gratefully received. Otherwise I'll stop the check again and live with it as is.
Format it from the command line.
Code:
mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/hda1
mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/hda2
mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/hda3
mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/hda4

Thanks again, there's a lot of useful info there.
I've had the drive out and via CrystalDiskInfo on Windows there is no SMART fail or warning, all appears well - reallocated, pending and uncorrectable sectors fine. Details attached (for my memory as much as anything)
It looks like a cmd format is the way to go, as the 'Humax are apparently idiots' section of your answer implies.

I've put the Seagate detailed above in (needed a couple of pins jumpered as this picture before it worked) while I tinker.
Screenshot_2024-03-31-18-59-29-313_com.android.chrome.jpg
So at least I've established this version of this drive is seen in this box. It wasn't seen by my HDR T2.

Thanks to both of you for the responses, hopefully now have all the info I need until the next stupid question.
Regards,
Mark

Attachments

• WDHDD.jpg
    WDHDD.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 5
Back