What time is it?

TimK2015

I've been meaning to ask this question for ages so here goes:

Is there a way to find out what time the Humax thinks it is? The display on the front only shows "hh:mm" but can the CFW give me it to "hh:mm:ss" or more?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed that each of my machines wakes up at slightly different times for an event starting at the same time. Obviously the actual start time of the recording will vary according to when the broadcaster signals that the programme has started. I know it's not earth shatteringly important but might stimulate the 'little grey cells'. Yes, I've been watching Hercule P recently.

Is there a way to find out what time the Humax thinks it is?
Just type "date" on the command line (if you don't know what the command line is, see the webshell package), or pause playback until it times out to the screensaver clock.

However, there are several different things going on. There's a real time clock in the front panel assembly and that is used to set system time at boot. Then, when EPG time is obtained, the RTC is corrected only if it has drifted out by a minute.

You can pull the system clock into sync with Internet time using the ntpclient package, but I'm not sure whether that will have the effect you desire because the OS system clock isn't necessarily the same as the clock governing recordings, and I think the screensaver clock operates independently too.

Thanks for the info BH. I was just curious as to what the Humax was up to.

Incidentally a similar variation happens with my 2 Foxsats, i.e. one will start up a short while before the other, so I guess that is also down to the variation between their RTCs too.

More clock discussion here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/on-board-clock.3736/

Note the protagonist in that thread seemed to think maintaining an accurate display of the time is a necessary primary function of the HDR-FOX, regardless of its ability to record stuff (and regardless that Humax makes no commitment regarding the accuracy of the clock display). Nor was he interested in our work-arounds, regarding it as a defect and apparently preferring to return for refund as not suitable.

Whether he found anything more suitable, I don't think we ever found out (and not very likely we would because he was sent away with a flea in his ear).

I've installed the ntpclient on my T2 that does radio recordings with padding.

Later: Padded recordings now start/finish within 1/2 seconds of the schedule time with padding

Last edited:
BH - Did you install the ntpclient package?

Reason I ask is that I thought it was a good idea and installed it on all my machines. Today I found they haven't cleared the completed tasks from the queue since 5th/6th March (setting is for 5 days).

I have removed NTP Client from some of my machines and shortened the 'in queue' time to 3 days. Lets see what happens.

Last edited:
BH - Did you install the ntpclient package?
Yes, although I can't say I've noticed much difference.

Today I found they haven't cleared the completed tasks from the queue since 5th/6th March (setting is for 5 days).
My queue record (on that machine) goes back nearly a year, so I think that function (from WebIF >> Settings >> Auto-Processing Settings) was broken before installing ntpclient. Neither does it seem very likely ntpclient could have such an effect. On another machine (without ntpclient) it's going back over a year, so maybe it is actually a complete unpruned record and the queue display clips it off (or maybe not – just guessing).

I just tried re-establishing the 7-day default, and WebIF reported "unchanged". This is a bug for another thread.

Back