1 week and counting

IPNightly

Had an FVP-4000T for about a week. Took all of 30 minutes to be disappointed and a couple of days to get to know it a bit better.

First and last impressions of the interface is not good.
In the EPG screen, 5 lines ( channels ) at a time are displayed. The text is BIG. In addition when a prog is highlighted, the highlighting can extend over the following prog detail, rendering it invisible! It's caught me out a few times already. I will try to upload a couple of photos to make the point clearer.
Moving up and down the listings is slow. However using the channel up / down buttons does allow moving a page ( 5 channels ) at a time.

When looking at the listing for the current time frame, the EPG also shows an extra box, which most of the time is grey with a rectangle and the letters TV inside of it. Sometimes the lettering will be replaced by a picture of the program itself ( pretty much a waste of space in my opinion ). It usually means that there is so little space left, to be able to see what program follows.

As I have a couple of HDR FOX T2's on my network and having moved one of them to the bedroom to allow the installation of the FVP in the living room, I had hoped to be able to watch shows recorded on the FVP via the FOX T2 ( which is possible between 2 FOX T2's ). Once again I was disappointed.

It appears the encoding on the FVP is different and the FOX T2 cannot play any of it ( bugger ! ).

I tried it the other way and the FVP did play content from the FOX T2 without any issues so far.

I then tried to connect the FVP to my NAS which has archived stuff from my FOX T2 ( via customised firmware ) and to my surprise nothing played! However as some of this was the same content still on my FOX T2 and which had already played, I was puzzled.
To cut a long story short, on my NAS, I copied just the .ts file for a prog to a different share, along with another .ts file ( for a different prog and its "other files" to the same share. I tried the file which I had copied the .ts and its related files first. It didn't play. Played the other single .ts file and it played. Deleted the "associated" files from the first .ts and tried again...... it played, no problem!

On the subject of my NAS shares. My NAS is called DS2. When I look at the Media Centre section of the FVP menu. I can see my NAS has 6 shares ( which is correct ). Unfortunately they are all referred to as DS2 ( the NAS name ) the share names are not shown. ( what a pain ). This is also true for other devices on my network and even the FOX T2's, which show up multiple times.

I know everyone won't be interested in the network side of things, but thats probably just as well. However it was my main reason for buying, followed by the 3 tuners.

There are more issues that I am aware of, but I want to check some more.

To cut a long story short, on my NAS, I copied just the .ts file for a prog to a different share, along with another .ts file ( for a different prog and its "other files" to the same share. I tried the file which I had copied the .ts and its related files first. It didn't play. Played the other single .ts file and it played. Deleted the "associated" files from the first .ts and tried again...... it played, no problem!
That's because either the nts file is incompatible, or it sees the nts file and also expects the hjm file to be present. This has already implied by others (last October on MyHumax?) but the main emphasis so far has been on compatibility of hmt v hjm and conjecture concerning if what is known about hmt can aid in understanding hjm.

I know that. I'm not so stupid about double negatives that I need the inference spelling out to me , but it was damn obvious what the OP meant and this isn't the Arms.:rolleyes:
And I was looking forward to a sensible reply that addressed the OP's question. I.e. the one by Luke.

it was damn obvious what the OP meant
Is it? Every reader will come to their own best guess, and the guess they come to might be different from yours (or, for that matter, mine) according to personal experience - but it will only be a guess (unless they have the power of mind-reading at a distance). I say again: I am looking for clarification - and I see nothing wrong in that.

I do not read posts on any other forum because a) custom firmware is here and b) I have received help from several members here. So apologies if I am duplicating info from somewhere else.
I started my own thread because an existing thread had descended into " insert your own expletives here" and had lost its way somewhat.
Unfortunately this one is going the same way!

If there is a question regarding the FVP that I can help you with, or something you would like tested, please feel free to ask.
Otherwise I will not respond. ( That includes any questions regarding my command of the English language :rolleyes: )

Please DO NOT RESPOND to THIS POST at all. A response is not required ( negative or positive )

Don't try and DICTATE to others what to do or not to do.
A response might not be "required" but you got one anyway. Just because it isn't "required", doesn't mean you're not going to get one.

I see. So he did mean nobody would be interested. If he can't be bothered to clarify what his lack of command of English actually meant, I'm definitely not interested. My perfectly reasonable and moderate request (no expletives involved) was exploded out of proportion by other antagonists, who appear arrogant enough to assume that what they think must automatically be correct.

Well done. That's totally pissed off another new member by nit picking.
And the comment under question is totally irrelevant to the general cut and thrust of the post anyway.

Last edited:
If there is a question regarding the FVP that I can help you with, or something you would like tested, please feel free to ask.
Did you get around to taking any screencaps?
I'd like to see them.

How do you find it now?

Have you tried the HUMAX TV Guide app?

Happy New Year!

Did you get around to taking any screencaps?
I'd like to see them.

How do you find it now?

Have you tried the HUMAX TV Guide app?

Happy New Year!

Hopefully I have been able to attach a couple of pics. If so, note the blue highlighting in pic1 and the next prog to it. Then look at pic2, where I have simply moved the focus from the previously highlighted prog. You can see that the highlighting had totally obscured a prog. Even though I know this happens, it still catches me out.

I haven't tried the Guide app. I use my Enigma 2 sat box to view an EPG and I have started to buy TV Choice magazine.
It's probably fair to say that I use my FVP4000 less and less.
Kodi on an Amazon fire TV connects to my Enigma 2 box and lets me watch it remotely ( Live TV ), along with previously recorded content from my HDR's ( now stored on a NAS or 2 ) .
fvp1.jpg fvp2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

That UI is godawful.

I thought the HUMAX TV Guide app might be a way to avoid looking/using that EPG.

Sad to hear you're not getting much use out of it.

Just noticed that some episodes that were series linked, have failed to record, part way through the series. Although the next episodes are showing up in the recorded episode listing page, they are not showing in the recording schedule.

The recordings are on different channels and there are no conflicts.
Back to using my T2 for recordings.

Back