10 year-old Foxsat HDR would like to meet a modern HDD

Trev - many thanks for the direct links to your Dropbox. That is so much more efficient, reassuring and secure feeling than me thrashing around trying to ascertain which versions would be available, current (so much of the info is years old) and safe. I've done a lot of confusing research and chasing around over the last few days but your direct links have now removed most of my doubts and fears. So my "thank you" really is heartfelt!
I now have plenty to study while waiting for my new HDD to arrive :geek:

I know this thread is from the mists of time but just in case anyone else is reading it, thinking of installing a Western Digital Purple drive in a Foxsat-HDR, I've just installed a 1TB WD10PURZ HDD (which I'd bought before seeing @af123's warning above).

I needed to jumper pins 5 and 6 (vertical pair of pins 2nd from the left, label facing uppermost) and connect it to a PC (via USB caddy and Windows 10 in my case) to tell it that it had a MBR partition rather than GPT before installing it (no need to go any further and create partition / format on the PC). After that I just installed it in the Foxsat-HDR, which recognised it and formatted it.

One day in and it seems to be working fine. Whether that continues will be revealed in the fullness of time...

I know this thread is from the mists of time but just in case anyone else is reading it, thinking of installing a Western Digital Purple drive in a Foxsat-HDR, I've just installed a 1TB WD10PURZ HDD (which I'd bought before seeing @af123's warning above).

I needed to jumper pins 5 and 6 (vertical pair of pins 2nd from the left, label facing uppermost) and connect it to a PC (via USB caddy and Windows 10 in my case) to tell it that it had a MBR partition rather than GPT before installing it (no need to go any further and create partition / format on the PC). After that I just installed it in the Foxsat-HDR, which recognised it and formatted it.

One day in and it seems to be working fine. Whether that continues will be revealed in the fullness of time...

Should be fine. My Foxsar-HDR is a very early model. Still working,

Back