1010S custom firmware ?

Ronb62

Will there be any custom firmware for this box anytime soon? As a new owner, and still learning, so please excuse any oversights. I would like to be able to communicate- transfer files to and from my 1010s over my network. USB sticks and external HDD are a pain- although they do transfer files onto the box and previously transferred off. But I am limited with USB by file size.
The custom firmware for other boxes looks to fill the job. Transferring, I have tried Filezilla and WinSCP (that works great with my iphone) but login is refused. By my logic refused = it is connecting but I have the wrong user and or password etc. I have tried HumaxFTP and 0000 but to no avail. Am I correct with these? Which files it plays seem hit and miss , some AVI will some won't MKV will but no sound an definitive list?
Still very pleased with the box btw after dumping Sky. Skip is miles better when hopping the ad break. The many forms of prog listing is a little annoying and series prog list some in date order some backwards ????

Custom Firmware for the HDR1010S may well be possible if it's architecture is similar to Freesat Foxsat HDR or the Freeview HDR-Fox T2 and HD-Fox T2, however, no-one has done this yet as far as I know. The Custom Firmware for the Foxsat HDR is written by Raydon and the forum for it is on AV-Forums, the Custom firmware for the HDR-Fox T2 and HD-Fox T2 is written by af123 and it's forum pages are on this site. Filezilla and the other FTP clients will only work on your 1010S if it has an in-built FTP server as the HDR-Fox T2 has, the FTP server has to be manually turned on in the Menu >> Setting screens before this will work on the HDR-Fox T2, so if the 1010S is the same there be a Menu option you can turn on.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for custom firmware for the HDR-1000/1010s, particulary in the short term. The recordings partition is itself encrypted. Unlike the Foxsat or HDR FOX the partition itself can't be accessed on a PC, presumably a machine specific key is required to even access the partition.

Ezra - there are no servers (At present). The HDR1000/1010S is well locked down - It has what looks like an encrypted filing system on all except one user partition used to hold imported data only.
I rather think we shall not see custom firmware on this unit.
If the promised DLNA server arrives (with rights protection) then that's my main interest filled.

Graham types faster than me!

The key to custom firmware for the HD/HDR-FOX (and presumably Foxsat) is that firmware updates are made available for download and application via a USB programming process - which is amenable to examination and modification. Are updates for the 1000/1010 made available in the same way?

The key to custom firmware for the HD/HDR-FOX (and presumably Foxsat) is that firmware updates are made available for download and application via a USB programming process - which is amenable to examination and modification. Are updates for the 1000/1010 made available in the same way?
That's immaterial. As Graham and REPASSAC have already said, the operating system is on a partition encrypted using LUKS, unlike the HD/HDR Fox T2 and Foxsat HDR which simply use squashfs which can be easily unpacked.

I am informed that firmware is available as a download, so is the download itself encrypted or is it only encrypted in the process of writing it to the encrypted file system? If the latter, it should still be possible to modify a download and install it, and even if of limited utility it might then still provide a chink in the armour.

There is a much more fundamental problem as I see it, unless one of the very few people capable of producing Custom Firmware (af123 / Raydon etc.) actually owns a 1010S, it is very unlikely that they will develop Custom Firmware for it, because they would have nothing to test the code on. Conversely if any of them do own the 1010S they would probably have already looked into the CF side of things

I am informed that firmware is available as a download, so is the download itself encrypted or is it only encrypted in the process of writing it to the encrypted file system? If the latter, it should still be possible to modify a download and install it, and even if of limited utility it might then still provide a chink in the armour.
BH, why do you continue to question what I and others have stated ? Which part of "That's immaterial" with respect to the .hdf did you not understand ?. Do you honestly believe that I had not explored such possibilities before commenting as I did ? I am not in the habit of making statements unless I am sure of my facts. I think that you fail to grasp the basic makeup of an .hdf file so let me try and explain in terms that a technical author should understand. An .hdf is an image of the various flash ROM blocks held within a container file. The loader writes these block images into the correct addresses when you flash the firmware. One of the blocks will contain the linux kernel, another the root file system, another the humaxtv binary, etc, etc. On the Foxsat and T2 these block images are 'in the clear', albeit compressed using squashfs. On the 1010S these blocks hold a LUKS encrypted file system. So it's not case of writing stuff to an encrypted file system, the .hdf is the encrypted file system.

Sent from the deli counter using my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Sorry, I didn't realise you are not open to technical discussion. Thank you for the explanation, which as far as I am aware had been lacking. As far as technical authoring is concerned, yes we did often have to virtually torture the engineers to provide the detail we required. As an engineer, I may not have specific domain knowledge, but I can spot when the information is incomplete.

If the .hdf is distributed as an encrypted image, is it not the case that the file system encryption key must be common to all units instead of (as per the HD/HDR-FOX recordings encryption) unique to each unit? I admit it's a long shot, but with a common key it may be discoverable - particularly if there are several revisions of firmware .hdfs available as the differences between payload will be relatively minor. I'll get Bletchley Park onto it!

Two posts and god knows how many edits to get the slant on it that satisfies your ego. OK BH you win.

Sent from the deli counter using my Samsung Galaxy S2

Back