1080p Display problem

But if the crap thin aerial patch leads had never existed, there wouldn't have been a problem to sort out in the first place. And not everyone can call you or me in to fix the problem. There are people that put up with things not working for years or simply give up on something because they can't fix it. We owe it to those people to ensure that all leads are properly screened and don't cause problems.

Sheesh, you'll be suggesting insulation on mains cables is optional next, because you only get an electric shock if you touch them.

Oh I see. So big thick unbending aerial patch leads are acceptable to Mrs Smith then, even when not strictly necessary.

I said enough in post 2 for anyone with even a modicum of experience and sense to work the rest out.
As I am the original poster, and reading post 2 was not sufficient to enable me to fully sort out the problem, I'll take this comment for what it is: a passive aggressive dig. Why justifies you being so rude? As I said earlier in this thread, I gave you a like and thanked you for your help, but because I also got helped by another poster that means that I don't have 'a modicum of experience and sense'?

Just read this thread again. The bulk of it is taken up by you vociferously defending a weak position just because you are incapable of backing down. How much time do you waste in pointless argument? I couldn't give a toss about any of this, I just wanted help with my problem. How must this forum appear to newbies? I'll bet there are people out there who need help but are afraid to ask in case they are derided for their 'stupidity'.

@Brian. Please feel free to prune the deadwood out of this thread and make it what it should be: a useful resource.

Oh I see. So big thick unbending aerial patch leads are acceptable to Mrs Smith then, even when not strictly necessary.

You are exagerating the thickness of a decent screened aerial lead, they're only slightly thicker than a pencil. They are exactly the same type of cable as satellite and cable TV coax, and people seem fine with those. Are you advocating changing to dodgy thin leads for satellite and virgin cable?

And if they are unbending how do they manage to go round corners? SCART leads were a much bigger culprit for being awkward cables, but people seemed to manage.

The only Mrs. Smith involved is my mum and she's fine with a real aerial lead. It's not even a patch lead, the coax from the aerial comes through a hole in the laminate floor (from the underfloor void) in the corner behind the TV/hifi stand and goes straight into the HDR Fox T2. There wasn't room for an aerial socket on the wall, and this provided a neater solution. The FM aerial lead on the same type of decent CT100 coax also comes through the same hole in the floor and goes straight into the FM tuner, my mum loves having the radio on throughout the house on the wired in ceiling speakers.

Actually there's also my sister in law, I sorted her and my brother's TV reception problems out too. She's happy with a proper aerial fly lead, and she's normally a stroppy cow at the best of times (we don't get on). I did change the wall plate to a threaded F connector one, both to get screening and to allow a right angled F adaptor to be used to get past my brother's subwoofer. There are ways of sorting things out.

And then there's my aunt in her retirement apartment. She's been inviting her neighbours in from other apartments because her TV works and there's don't. They've been copying what I've done and asking where to get the bits. The distribution system in the apartment block is very good right up until the crappy TV/satellite/radio splitter faceplate which is awful. I just went into the second unsplit outlet on the F connector. None of her neighbours have baulked at a decent aerial lead, they just want their telly to work.

My own house has F connector wall plates, again for screening and again to allow a right angled F adaptor to stop the cable sticking out a mile. But even the thin cables stick out a fair amount, more than a right angled adaptor. You can also get angled F wall plates so the cable comes off the wall pointing down at 45 degrees.

I do not know why you persist with your views. But it's clear neither of us will change each other's minds on this so can we just drop it please?

All my interconnects are made with WF100 satellite cable. You can make them just the right length and they cost very little. . I use F connectors and Belling Lee adaptors where required as I can't be bothered soldering the centre core. As usual the best place for this kind of information.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html

Aerials and TV is a good place to get stuff, but my word the web pages are verbose. The other site I use is SatCure:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/

I'm aware that CT100 that I use was discontinued many years ago. It's good cable though so I'm using up the half a reel I have. But it's only good indoors since it is air spaced and can act as a hosepipe if used outdoors, feeding water straight into your equipment. Hence foam spaced WF100 (which was called CF100 when I bought my reel of brown, again I have half left).

I also use F connectors and Belling Lee adaptors where required, my reason is I think the adaptors make a better connection than Belling Lee connectors. And Graham is correct, leads made this way are cheap and you can have precisely the length you want. You even have a choice of black, brown or white cable.

They are only cheap if you happen to have reels of black, brown and white WF100 cable, some F and Belling Lee connectors laying about and the necessary skills to prepare the cable and fit the connectors. Some people are not good at rocket science.:) Cheaper and easier to buy a cheapie from the £ shop which will work just fine in the majority of cases.

Satcure will sell you a pre-made lead of the length you want with whichever connectors you want on each end. They're quite affordable, so I see no reason to use a cheap nasty cable. Eg. £5.99 for a 2m cable made from WF100 and Belling Lee connectors.

If you insist on thin flexible cable, buy one made from WF65 from SatCure. It is at least properly screened and the correct impenance. Same price as the CT100 leads, SatCure's pre-made WF65 leads are on this page:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/WF65_cable.htm

B&Q sell short lengths of PF100 as do Screwfix (PF100 has virtually identical parameters to WF100). Fitting a f connector requires no skill. unlike fitting a Belling Lee correctly, and they do not fall out of the sockets either.

Back