1800t auto search problem

Rob Stickland

Auto search reaches ch 69 then reverts to ch 22 and continues to ch 69 with channels prefixed with 2 ( i.e. 201, 202 etc).
Only a few HD channels are tuned with different results each time I tune.
I have tried a factory reset with no improvement.
I have had the PVR working perfectly for 2 or 3 years.
Help would be most welcome.

Rob Stickland.

I think the two scans from 21 to 69 is normal, the first stores Standard Definition channels and the second one stores High Definition channels

Yes, it sounds normal to me too. If there are varying results when retuning it suggests a poor signal.

Think two scans is right. If you do a manual tune, you have to do it twice, once for T and again for T2 otherwise you don't get HD.

If you do a manual tune, you have to do it twice, once for T and again for T2 otherwise you don't get HD.
That is not correct; for each channel that is manually tuned you set the transmission type to DVB-T or DVB-T2 as appropriate but each channel is tuned only once.

(Update: see next posts)

I think you are confusing "channel" with "service". Here we are talking about the UHF channel numbers, which are auto-scanned twice: the first time for DVB-T and the second time for DVB-T2. Each service found on each scan is then entered into the tuning database.

Doing it manually of course one can use a guided search (only the right channels for those transmitted in the area and transmitting DVB-T or DVB-T2).

Last edited:
I think you are confusing "channel" with "service".
Who is? It seems the the Rob is using them pretty interchangeably but distinguishing between the two by using 'ch' and 'channel' so presumably realises there is a difference.
Here we are talking about the UHF channel numbers, which are auto-scanned twice: the first time for DVB-T and the second time for DVB-T2. Each service found on each scan is then entered into the tuning database.
Thanks for the mansplain :roflmao:

Could the Rob's problem be that he is 'on the cusp' of sig strength for com 7/8 thus sometimes 'getting' these channels and at other times not, but only noticing the missing HD services?

Rob. Do you get the base HD services all the time (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4, CH and CBBC) with the 'lesser' HD services being the intermittent ones?

Last edited:
I was replying to Martin (ie the post immediately above). However, it was late and on re-reading I can see the intended sense of his remark.

Perhaps I should put a curfew on my forum posting :(

Last edited:
Yes, it was 'my bad' on the manual tune:oops:
But what about my idea about com 7/8? Could that be the cause of Rob's problem?
Perhaps I should also curfew myself:roflmao:

Doing it manually of course one can use a guided search (only the right channels for those transmitted in the area and transmitting DVB-T or DVB-T2).
With so much overlap between transmitters, a manual search is the only sensible solution to Rob's problem. If I did an automatic search here, I'd get a poor quality signal from the Belmont transmitter stored instead of a better quality signal from Waltham (even with the aerial pointing at 90 degrees away from Belmont). That's just how it is!
I suggest visiting www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ and entering your details and tick the detailed view box.
Choose the best transmitter based on those results and the direction of your aerial. Manually tune the multiplexes, and hopefully things might get back to normal.

Back