2nd HDR-FOX

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I am now (temporarily) a second HDR-FOX owner while I configure it for use elsewhere (in a non-technical environment). Not started up yet. Currently available from Maplin for £240 (less £7 voucher if you have one).

As it will sit alongside my existing HDR for shake-down, first I need to label the two handsets so I can tell them apart and then change the remote control channel for HDR1 before firing up HDR2.

Development plan:
  • Start HDR2 and run through it's installation procedure
  • Manually flash it to 1.02.20+CF2.11
  • Install disable-ota, disable-dso, flatten, and auto-unprotect (for convenience later)
  • Manual retune to Mendip
  • Add EPG refresh / OTA defeat reminder wake-up (belt & braces)
Can anybody think of anything else?

In its intended destination there will be no Internet or home network, so I will need alternative arrangements for WebIF access (though not very often hopefully). I could take my notebook and use a direct Cat5 connection, but I have hopes to avoid that by using a WiFi dongle and setting up a temporary hot-spot using my MiFi, then be able to access the WebIF by iPad (portability). It remains to be seen whether I can get HDR2 to log on to the MiFi hot-spot.

Is there any possibility of programming the WiFi node to act as a master station? That would eliminate the need for the MiFi.

Tell you what though, the orange VFD is much brighter than my original, in fact I am noticing it says things I never knew before! Much better (not too bright either).

By the way, I've sold out (slightly) and run a temporary aerial lead to the bedroom HD-FOX - Olympics in comfort.

Ha! I've not bothered to do the update yet, so there's no sound on HiDef playback (recording or timeshift)!

Okay, well I've had a rush of blood and performed the actions in post #1.

The first hiccup was that the programming phase of 2.11 reached 100% and got stuck. I installed 1.02.20 first which went normally with the usual pauses, my habit is to remove the UPD when "downloading" is complete and it changes to "programming", then I replaced it with the 2.11 hdf so that the reboot at the end then goes straight into the next download/program cycle. This normally goes fine, but for one reason or another I had to power off at the back. Everything seemed OK afterwards though.

I hoped I might get my (previously unused) WiFi dongle to connect to my MiFi, it could see the network but my settings ddn't seem to take. Gave up on that and switched the connection from HDR1. If it had worked I would have used my mobile Internet and iPad to set up the custom software (which is what I am aiming for in the target location). As it was I used my home network, installed the aforementioned packages, and left the WiFi fight for another day.

If it's of any interest, I have succeeded in using a TP-LINK TL-WR702N as a WiFi router. It plugs into the Humax Cat5 port and draws power from the USB port, then I was able to configure it purely via iPad and WiFi to be a wireless access point such that I can point my iPad at the TP-LINK SSID and access the custom firmware web interface.

Just so I remember, here's what I had to do:
  • Change the iPad WiFi settings for the TP-LINK network to 192.168.0.x (the TP-LINK defaults to this subnet, but my networks are based on 192.168.1.x)
  • "Working Mode" defaults to AP
  • On "Wireless" change United States to United Kingdom
  • Enable DHCP (didn't need to, I have the Humax set on Manual, but it seemed like a good idea)
  • On "Network" change the IP address to 192.168.1.254
  • Reboot
  • Restore the iPad wireless setting to 192.168.1.x
The settings are retained after power off, so now all I have to do to gain access to a non-networked Humax (as HDR-FOX2 will be) is connect up the TP-LINK and select its SSID. Brill.

My next idea will be to try switching it to Client mode and accessing the Internet via my MiFi (3G to WiFi bridge). I tried that with a WiFi dongle but couldn't get the Humax to lock on to my MiFi.

PS: I had to send back the first one, no matter what I did I could not access it through the LAN port or detect a WiFi signal from it, eventually I concluded it was broken and arranged to swap it out. The replacement worked easy!

Tell you what though, the orange VFD is much brighter than my original, in fact I am noticing it says things I never knew before! Much better (not too bright either).

For reference, here they are side-by-side (actually, top-by-bottom):

HDR_oldandnew.jpg

I see you've got the hang of re-sizing your images :) There must be something on the I-Pad that does that ! !

??

I think you're confusing me with a certain hologram. I have Serif PhotoPlus as my Photoshop-alike, on a full-fat PC.

Oh yeah, I just happened to use it as a camera that was handy at the time. I didn't realise I had preserved the EXIF data.

As it happens I tried cropping it on the iPad before exporting it, but the full image got exported so I had to use Serif anyway. Neither could I find a way to upload from iPad to forum post.

first I need to label the two handsets so I can tell them apart and then change the remote control channel for HDR1 before firing up HDR2

@BH, how do you change the remote control channel please? I am hoping to get a "spare" HDR.

And therein lies the importance of labeling the two remotes and two boxes with the channel you chose above!
Why would you want to do that? I have been using my three boxes and three remotes all together with no labelling being required.:)

Just keep one in each hand ... oh thats right, snails don't have hands, do they. Guess it is a case of use the feelers to keep track of them. ;)
If I do get slightly mixed up, I check the batteries. My No 1 has White Rocket batteries, No 2 & No 3 both have Blue Rocket batteries, but live in separate remote control piles.:D

Back