2TB HDD for HDR T2

Trev

The Dumb One
I know there's lots of stuff written about this, but couldn't easily find the answer.
I have just received my Seagate (Seagate ST2000VM003 ) from Amazon, and it looks like the box has taken a hit or has been partly opened to see what's inside.
I want to test it before I start taking my Hummy T2 to bits. If I shove it in a SATA to USB powered caddy, will it format correctly from the T2 USB socket, or will I have to use Gparted or similar? Alternatively, could I stick it in my Windows machine on a spare SATA port and do something there?

Did you take a photo of the packaging damage?

If you want to test it, connect it to your PC and give it a work out. It will make no difference to installing it in the Humax, you will still fit it and then run format. The installation format builds all the partitions that the internal operation of the HDR-FOX requires, whereas formatting it as a USB drive would just create one Ext3 partition.

When connected directly to the internal port on the HDR-FOX, formatting will create three EXT3 partitions. If you format whilst connected to the HDR-FOX USB port you will get one just one EXT3 partition. If you want to test it on your Windows PC, connect by USB and format as NTFS (quick format is fine). Check it is working OK then use Disk Management to delete the NTFS partition and change the storage space to 'unallocated'. Then when you install it inside the HDR-FOX and use the remote control, it will format correctly (3 x EXT3 partitions).

Edit: beaten to it.

Thanks guys. I'll get on and check it out on my PC. Haven't yet taken photo as I was able to get the HDD out of the packaging where someone else seems to have been at it. The end of the outer box was torn open and then been parcel taped up over the original Amazon tape. I suspect someone had had a look it to see if it was worth stealing. It was delivered by RM, so a bit surprising? The drive was not very well packed, but is still in its anti-static sealed bag and looks OK. I'll report back with my check results,

EDIT:
Plugged it in. No untoward noises, in fact I didn't think it was spinning at first. It formatted OK in Widows. I copied a bunch of stuff to it and back off OK. Now to bung in in the T2.

Last edited:
Plugged it in. No untoward noises, in fact I didn't think it was spinning at first. It formatted OK in Widows. I copied a bunch of stuff to it and back off OK. Now to bung in in the T2.
Might be worth a look at the SMART data as well, just to see if that reveals anything.

...I was able to get the HDD out of the packaging where someone else seems to have been at it. The end of the outer box was torn open and then been parcel taped up over the original Amazon tape. I suspect someone had had a look it to see if it was worth stealing.
Hellfire. I would have been all over that with photos, and definitely made a remark when signing for it (I presume you did have to sign for it?). You now have no evidence at all of its condition on delivery. The fact that the drive appears undamaged is irrelevant - the sender needs to know how it arrived.

I do have photos, as I didn't have to do anything other than pull it out through the hole in the end. The sender was Amazon as was the box and original tape that is a bugger to tear and I'll be informing them ASAP, although what good it will do, I don't know. It must have been done by someone in RM.

Back