3 sec delay on remote buttons

mike_m

Has anyone come across this? If I press a button (for instance, pause) there's a 2 or 3 sec delay before the pause happens. This only seems to affect controls while playing a recording (start, pause, stop, forward or back X seconds, ff and rew). It doesn't seem to affect any other operations - arrow keys on EPG fine, etc. Replaced the batteries in the remote, cleared out old schedules, etc. Disk is about 30% full.

Just an update, in case anyone else has this problem...

Well, I eventually realised (only took me two days, duh!) that even though the EPG was showing that programmes were being recorded, and the light on the front was red to show that it was recording, nothing was actually being written to the disk. I could still watch recorded programs as normal, but it was as if the whole disc was write-protected. The delay behaviour that I posted about was occurring when the machine was supposedly recording - so I'm guessing that the i/o bandwidth was taken up with thousands of failed attempts to write, and my button-presses just had to get in line and wait.

Anyway, I ran a fix-disk as MymsMan suggested, and everything is hunky-dory now. Many thanks to all.

... I could still watch recorded programs as normal, but it was as if the whole disc was write-protected. ...
If the system finds a problem in the filesystem it can get remounted as read-only. This might allow data to be recovered while preventing further corruption. There doesn't have to have been a physical disk fault. Either way, fixdisk should sort it out, and it did.

This threw me off the scent:
Hmm... maybe the EPG only accesses the disk when it loads, and after that it's in RAM? So moving around the EPG doesn't need to access the disk continually. Ditto with Scheduled list. But pause, rewind, ffwd etc are all instructions to the disk head. Just a thought.

The EPG data base is on a different disk partition so might not be as affected by the main partitions problems

Indeed, when I've seen this on my HDR it's just the #2 (media) partition that goes RO,

Back